back pain need help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Help please I am 38

I have a lot of back pain it started when i was 35 I was moving a lot of snow from my car and felt some thing  in my upper back go and from time to time get pain and stiffness in my upper back. Any way I have noticed my back getting pain while sitting down form some time then over the past year I find it very painful to sit down and my lower back is giving me a lot of pain. The pain I am getting seems to come from just above my hip and lower back. The pain does affect my stomach and seems to travel to my chest some times. I also get pain which seems to travel down my legs some time. 

I have been to see my doctor a few times had an ex-ray which showed every thing normal and he feels exercises to strengthen my back will help. I do not feel this will do any thing I have been doing exercises for a few days but don't think its working. I did see a physiotherapist and she said my upper back seemed to have more muscle mass on my left side advised I use a spiky ball. I just seem to be getting pain when I sit down I got a new job driving a bus and its been hard physically doing the training is their any advice any one can give me as I don't think this is normal. Until I reached 35 I have never had any back problems the only other pain I have had is pain in my neck but the pain feels like its coming from my neck. 

I seem to get pain when I lie down.

Can any one say what is wrong with me?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ok Paul I am a 10 pro at back pain and I've got to say that you have not even given PT a chance. It takes months to get anything out of it. Secondly I would recommend that you get a cushion to sit on when you are driving the bus. I use a chair cushion. I find those work well. Also a flat X-ray is almost useless for seeing any problems in your back so I think your doctor is a bit of a fool to assume nothing is wrong with your back if that's the only criteria he/she is using. You need an MRI to determine what is going on. An MRI will show damaged disks like bulging disks and impinging disks, it will also show inflammation, stenosis, all kinds of things. From that your PT can recommend the appropriate exercises to do. And you should also be on ibuprofen to help with the inflammation. I would also suggest you ice your back daily for 20 minutes or more often if possible (but not longer).

• Posted

Hello I have noticed my lower back get stiffer and stiffer and bending has become painful even standing seems to give me pain after a while. I think your right about needing a MRI. I also seem to get pain in my right thigh. I some times feel sick and get chest pains. I have been doing the exercises for about 2 months and this does not seem to help if i was to describe  the pain its like a nerve problem. I am not a big man so don't know what is going on. I am in so much pain and i take ibuprofen but nothing strong just the super market stuff. I am at my wits end like seems a struggle .

• Posted

other things i feel is like a tired back all the time as well at this point i dont know what i can do or will i have this all my life.
  • Posted

sounds like slipped disc at L5 with bilateral nerve root compression...need x ray and MRI
    • Posted

Well ihavenonickname I don't necessarily agree because I don't think you can even begin to

guess with what little information you have. He sounds a lot like my problems I don't have that

I think your jumping the guns and by doing you can scare some one.

Ooh and one more thing I can think of a few nick names you could use lol

• Posted

Hi Amkoffee

The human body is fabulous...if you learn all of the parts, if you study the nervous sysyem, if you memorize where each nerve root originates and terminates., then you too would know that L5 nerve roots are involved...and possibly the sacral nerve S1 as well.

Perhaps you might study anatomy and physiology at the collegiate level like I have...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.