Back to work

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all im 12 weeks post op after surgery on both my feet 2 weeks apart this is my first week back at work im on my feet 10 hrs a night and omg my feet are swllon and hurt so bad but the worst part is my big toes are red and inflamed under the nail beds and it hurts so much anyone have this happen

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I'm feeling your pain. This has been my first week back since my op on the 16th June. I'm office based but have resorted to trainers. Red sore swollen burning . I'm using hot and cold therapy and it's helping . I'm feeling some improvemet at least x 
  • Posted

I am 10 months post op and have had an excellent result.

Rebecca, in my opinion you are on your feet far too long during the day. It's as simple as that. You're going to have to rest those feet otherwise you will continue to suffer and you may not end up with such a good result. You will need to elevate your feet in bed maybe for at least 5/6 months or until the swelling and discomfort gets less and less.  Your feet are filling with fluid - your body's natural cushion - hence the inflammation under your toe nails caused by the pressure. The only way for this to go down, is by elevating and resting your feet higher than heart level. To achieve a good result you need to look after yourself NOW. Good luck and please take care. LadyPink

• Posted

I do elevate my feet when I'm in bed and rest on my days off but I had to go back to work I work in assembly plant I work for Chrysler so I'm on the line I really have no choice but to be on my feet I wish I could have taken more time off of work but I really could not afford it had the doctor told me pre op they're going back to work so soon would have been so difficult I'm not sure I would have had the surgery
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca, I'm so sorry to hear of your predicament you really don't have much choice do you. Ideally you see you need to be having a break throughout the day to elevate your feet for about 15 minutes at least or whenever your feet are hurting. Doctors never seem to tell you much about the recovery part do they. That's because they themselves don't really know. Well, I wish you all the best and I'm sure all will be well eventually it's just going to be an uncomfortable few months. Best wishes, LadyPink
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca. So sorry to hear about you having to return to work and be on your feet all day. Not sure what surgery you had, but for me, footwear that allows my toes to really stretch out wide has helped. This is not the same as footwear that is wide width. That width is measured at the bottom joints of your toes. These that I'm talking about have a "wide toe box". Otherwise, your toes are all pushed together again...I'm not sure what the employment laws are where you are, but if you insist, your employer may be required to provide "reasonable accomodations" that would allow you perhaps a break or two (besides lunch) to elevate your legs. It's worth asking...The shoes I bought are called Lems. They are expensive, but I've decided they are an investment in my healthsmile. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.