Back to work I go

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm returning to work tonight I'm 7 1/2 weeks post op. I'm quite excited but also have my fears.

I'm a Slimming World Consultant with 5 groups over different days. Im missing my members and need to take control of my own weight as I'm sure I will have gained a few pounds since my op.

The job involves carrying stock from my car to venue and setting up scales etc.

I still have restrictions in place for another 4 1/2 weeks so it's the bending that worries me.

I'm at physio this morning so will enquire about this but any input would be appreciated.

Is it safe to carry bags etc.

Sue x

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck Sue,

I hope you've lots of willing helpers there to help with the carrying.  I used to be a helper at WW, taking the money and such, but there were a few of us that used to help with the carrying.  If not ask, your members will be only too happy to help.

Don't forget that you can bend as long as you stretch your operated leg out behind, I use this a lot as I live on my owm and I'm always picking things up off the floor.  I'm sure I've become clumsier since this op. 

I've also put weight on - enforced inactivity and comfort eating neutral 

I need to start kicking myself into shape!

Let us know how you get on,

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Thanks Cels yes i have a social team who help but I tend to go in early to set up.

I'm off to physio for the last time today so going to ask about bending as not been shown how to do this.

Everything is a worry lol. I know I have to get back to work as i am becoming abit lazy.

I know what you mean about inactivity and weight gain. I'm hoping I'm still within my target weight but that's just wishful thinking.

I lost 3 stone for my surgery so I'm back on plan after today.

Only got 1 group tonight but 3 tommorow so that will be the hardest.

I'll keep you posted.

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue, 

I would worry about the carrying and lifting   -   I think I might have carried too heavy grocery bags too soon in recovery - for some reason I can't find the max weight one is allowed to carry in early recovery  - 

the bending you probably know and are aware of - take your grabber with you !!!

better safe than sorry, sweetheart - - wait until there is an able body to help you -

what a milestone you have reached !!!  good luck

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Sue

i think lighter weights are not a problem - but NOT heavy !  Bones actually like weight bearing to a certain degree.

Get a foldable trolley - or a wheeled cart they are not expensive.  I use one for my job as i have to do the same-- loading and unloading the car ! 

My surgeon said after 8 weeks bending is okay - the nurses said also - BUT they said - be ungainly and knees outwards !! - i did this and was okay - now upto 16weeks. !

good luck x

I  also gained a few pounds and having trouble shifting it with my work - may go to slimming world !

• Posted

71/2 weeks??!!! That is fabulous, sounds like you have recovered well. Take it easy
  • Posted

Sue,

Exciting times indeed, and a real milestone.

Could you get a small trolley to assist with carrying the load?

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Have to agree with the wheeled trolley idea , i find it really hard ie too much even to carry anything other than a small shopping bag . I use a rucksack for work as im always carting papers about . Bending should be ok as long as you follow the advice listed by others but dont be twisting / turning with armfuls of heavy stuff , and if you are offered help then do take it ! Well done on getting back to work - good for you . Hope you enjoy xxxxxxx
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

I have managed 2 groups now my 1st last night and 1 this morning. I used a trolly to carry stock which was a great help. I'm feeling tired at the moment but I suppose that's normal.

I've 2 groups tonight then can rest until Saturday morning. It's a nice feeling being back at work and takes my mind off things I kind of dwell on. I've also put 8 pounds in weight on which is not really a surprise.

I saw my physio yesterday for the last time and she showed me how to bend and go down to the floor on my knees to plug electrical sockets in or pick things up. I was toi scared to try this begore.I found this really helpful as the bending is harder than the kneeling for me. She told me to hold onto something like a chair and go down on my operated knee and follow with my other leg. The opposite to get up. She did say don't sit back on my ankles though. This will be helpful when I try a bath in 4 weeks time. Not advised to do so until I'm 12 weeks post op.

Wishing you all the very best in your recoveries.

Sue x

• Posted

Well done sue,

Grab any helpyou can though, I used to help in SW and some of the boxes were extremly heavy.  Bet it feels tiring but good to be back.

• Posted

Hi Sue - well done and am glad you are enjoying being back at work - sounds like you've done brilliantly well xxx
  • Posted

Well I survived 3 groups today. It was great but I have to say very tiring. I'm used to being a couch potato of sorts can't sit on mine yet it's too low.

I actually forgot I'd had an operation whilst I was busy helping others. I still think I have a way to ho before I feel fully recovered but I am so very grateful that I do not have the horrific osteo arthritis pain no more. .

Best wishes everyone xx

• Posted

Hi Sue, 

wow, I like what I am reading here ....  2 groups and the 3 groups, that is a long time on your feet !!!  

Is slimming world similar to weight watchers? mine were about 2 hours per session (attending, not leading) - interesting that now you also are a participant - so great ...

just be still mindful how you stand and all that, okay?

well done, girl

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Yayyyy, well done Sue on your return to work. I've told my boss he won't see me for at least 12! 8lb in 8 weeks - that's not too bad really. With all your knowledge you'll shift that easy. Another 3lb off for me this week & only 4 to go for my 2 stone! 4.5 weeks left until my OP so I'm confident I can do it (although I've got a holiday before)! Keep us posted with your recovery x
    • Posted

Wow you are doing amazing be proud of your achievement. Im not worried about 8 1bs I can shift this. I didn't put it on in a week so it will take a few to get it off. I'm back on track now and focused. I'm so grateful for my new hip and the new life it has given me .

Best wishes

Sue x

• Posted

Hi renee my groups run for the members 1 1/2 hours for me another hour on top to set up and take away.Ive been to weight watchers in the past lol I've tried every diet out there. So it's very similar .

I'm will be doing 7 groups a week but can honestly say I'm feeling fine at the moment. I still need to rest after. I only stand for around an hour per group. It takes my mind of my operation which has engulfed me for the past 8 weeks. It's lovely to feel normal again. I love my job it's not like going to work really. I was amazed at how my members weight and shapes have changed since I've been away.

Thank you for your kind comments I've still a way to go yet 4 weeks before restrictions are lifted. To be honest cos I worry so much I'll probably be over cautious for ever.

Hugs back to you

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Well done on getting back to your groups.  Do you have any idea howe much an implant weighs?  Not that I'm going to use it as an excuse - just curious really.

I have put on about 8 pounds too, shocking!  I'm going to get myself out walking, I've downloaded an app to record what I eat and its food value - it's like the WW app but just for a one off price.  If all fails I go back to a meeting but I don't really want to do down that road if I can help it.  

You're doing great, well done! 

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Hi Cels - they weigh about 300grams although there's some variance with different types - but with all the sitting around we do is top it's not surprising most of us put on weight ! Xxxx
    • Posted

Oh, that's not much is it?  Can't use it as an excuse anyway.  

I walked a mile without my stick today.  I know that doesn't sound much but it felt like 10 miles.  Oh well, hip physio class starts tomorrow.  That might loosen things up a bit neutral

How's you Bini?  

Xxx

• Posted

I'm good thanks Cels - and a mile without a stick is pretty good going . I'm suffering a bit from all the hours in the car but it was a good trip . Am going swimming early morning in the hopes of loosening everything up a bit ! 😊😊😊😊xxxxx
    • Posted

I wish I could swim.  I signed up to a class last year but it was undersubscribed and so it was cancelled.  I was really looking forward to it too sad
    • Posted

Aah shame 😕The gym I'm swimming at is horribly expensive but has a big 25metre pool which rarely has more than 6 people in it so you can pace yourself comfortably - our local council pool is in the middle of town so difficult for me to get to and you end up swimming in the same lane as about 17 others - it's just not a nice experience plus you get elbowed all the time - so it's worth the money for the other - plus steam room, jacuzzi and lovely showers . We don't go out much so I feel able to justify it but does cost a lot xxxx
    • Posted

I've no idea what my hips weighs hope it's 8 1bs haha. All I know it's ceramic and cemented. I'm back to my healthy eating now and my Slimming World group members keep me on track too. You have to practice what you preach.

I'm going to Spain in July so determined to lose weight for the holiday not sure how much but will start with the 8 1bs.

Been lovely and sunny here in Leeds which lightens my mood so thinking salads this week with chicken or salmon.

I can only swim breaststroke which is a not permitted for a year after surgery. Will have to remember that on holiday.

Hope you are all well

Sue x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.