Bad Bloood Donation Practice Worries

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a blood donation yesterday, the nurse who drew my blood wore gloves but while in the process of collecting blood she went off doing other things like packaging test tube boxes and input stuff on her computer. At the end of the blood draw she folded my gauze pad before withdrew the needle, my worry is If there was surface contamination on the stuff she touched and got some blood on her gloves and then touching my gauze pad and wound, would this transmit HIV/HEP C?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

The chances of this happening are almost nonexistent lol.. no it wouldn't transmit it even if it was there (which it's not). In order to get hep c, the needle she used would have to be used by someone else who has it same for hiv I believe (not sure how you get it) it's not easy to get hep. My mom had it for years, had a baby who doesn't have hep c, I've gotten her blood in my mouth accidentally (don't ask how) and I'm fine lol

• Posted

Can you clarify on why it wont transmit? My concern is if she did pick up some blood on her gloves from touching all the things and later touched my wound and gauze with it, would i be at risk since its kinda like bloood to blood.
    • Posted

HEP C is only transmitted BLOOD THRU BLOOD. Meaning, Youwould have to have an open bleeding wound and then someone else's blood had dripped onto your wound. It's not like HIV, they say you can get hep c through sex but my mom was with someone for 10 years and he didn't get it before she knew she even had it. It's really not easy. The reason why drug addicts get hep c is because often times they share needles or is using someone else's on accident and didn't know it, and its fresh blood. How do you know she didn't change her gloves before she came back into the room? Doctors/nurses are very very careful about this. The odds of someone else's blood on her glove that had hiv/hep c and didn't know it (considering I'm guessing they were donating too, you can't donate with hiv/hep c) it's literally nonexistent. You are worrying about something very unrealistic. If you're that worried about it talk to a doctor, that's what I did when I thought my son was exposed and I learned how it is and ISNT transmitted

• Posted

I promise you are worrying for no reason. Picture it like this, the only way you could get hep c or hiv in that scenario is if she used the same needle on someone else who had it before you.
  • Posted

I'm not sure but I would of asked for someone else to finish with me cause you cant be too careful, besides it's your life and it's your right

• Posted

Hi winkawak, I am a nurse and just finished Hep C treatment myself.  It's not just bad practice she should be fired, and also the drawer was not a nurse but a phlebotomist nurses rarely work in blood banks.  I have no idea why she would have done those other tasks without changing her gloves before she did them, and then again when she returned to you.  Her gloves should have come off immediately after she was done with your stick.  As far as testing for HIV/HEP it is done after you give not before they run the blood through all the standard tests before they package it so there is no way to know if a person has a disease before they give if they are a first timer.  As far as transfer, unless the blood made contact directly with your needle wound it is very unlikely you were exposed.  I was told to dispose of any razors I used and to throw out all of my toothbrushes after my treatment started.  I understand if blood is on an item from an infected person it can be transferred for up to seven days. I have no idea how I got it I never stuck myself with a needle at work and never had an open wound when dealing with blood.  You are most likely fine but please speak up if you have a concern next time you give blood.  Please don't let this one experience keep you from giving you are doing a really good thing.    

• Posted

Thats exactly my worry, IF she had picked up blood residue on her gloves from touching all that stuff and she DID touch my gauze and my wound when she went to fold my gauze on my arm to withdraw needle. Isnt this considered blood to blood?

Im really stressed, im sorry to hear your story, from what i have read alot of people are getting hep c from dental/nail salon from resusing unsterilized equipments.

• Posted

If there was a significant amount of blood then yes, maybe. It would have to be a lot and I highly doubt she would use the same gloves if that happened. Like I said, you're stressing over a highly unlikely situation. I haven't heard of that yet, I've seen tons of commercials on tv about hep c though so I don't doubt there's a rise. I wouldn't worry. I promise

• Posted

The thing is for hep c transmission less than a drop will do..........thanks for helping out but im having trouble finding reasons not to worry
    • Posted

Yes but the thing is there's no evidence of her having another persons blood on her gloves except for your own paranoid delusions. Do you usually worry this much? I've seen a lot of people on here talking about crazy reasons they think they have a brain tumor or cancer or something bizarre. Why don't you just call the place and ask if it was in a doctors office. Nurses are HIGHLY drained for 4-6 yrs on this stuff.. if she touched other blood with her glove she would have taken it off before touching you, that's the first thing they know to do. If my sons pediatriction wouldn't even test him based on the possibility on my moms blood on his cut and my moms blood getting in my mouth more than once and I've come up negative every time I promise there's not one possibility you have it based on the assumption that she touched another persons blood and got it on you. That's a very paranoid assumption

• Posted

I do have abit ocd but these fears are based on what i saw so im not imagining just thinking the worst case scenerio. I made a mistake shes not a nurse but rather a phlebotomist . I find it useless to call now, either it did happened and they dont want to admit or they dont remember. Having hep c blood making contact with mouth doesnt cause transmission as ignestion does not transmit hep. The superficial cut situation is very low risk being its superficial. Mine is a punctured wound to the vein from blood donation. I am abit paranoid, this is the 3rd time i donated there now come to think of it last 2 times was also like this, while waiting for my blood to be drawn they went off touching evrything with the same glove and never changed it. I feel abit better and less anxious now after a shower but still slight burden as the thought lives back of my mind floaty around.
    • Posted

I would definitely go and have it checked it cause that's the only way to be sure. I know it's really scary not to mention is heavenly on your mind. I had Hep C myself as I stated before and i was on two medications and I'm cured today cause I didn't want to be sick anymore, it is a serious disease. It's more dangerous if you don't go to make sure you are Hep C free. Stay healthy

• Posted

I did have a lot of dental work years ago after a car accident but I was tested more than once since then and never tested positive before.  So it truly is a mystery.  But anyway blood residue should not be an issue when she folded over the gauze it would have to be direct contact with blood did you see any blood on her glove or the gauze if not again, I think you are just fine most people that give blood have done it before and would know they have a passable disease because of the screening they do.  It's against the law to give if you know you have a disease like HEP C/B it's just like HIV you can't give blood.  I do think if you are concerned, get tested but wait a few months because it takes time, to show up. I can't say don't get tested because if I hadn't I would never have known and been able to get treatment.  Just remember it is treatable if it's Hep C. But relax because all and all I think you are ok and it's not the end of the world thanks to modern science. 

• Posted

HCV has been proven to live for up to 6 weeks outside the body so anything with blood on it could be a risk.

I haven't heard anyone get infected with blood donation. If you are worried, you can have a blood test for it. Just for a peace of mind.

• Posted

HieuPham my doctor and all the research I have done suggest dry blood at the most 16 hours to 4 days my doctor said seven to be absolutely sure.  It can survive in a liquid or wet environment for months.  Not for months if it's on a razor or toothbrush.  I was referencing dry blood.  But so, thank you for your insight.

• Posted

Hi Lori,

I did not know how long the virus can live outside the body but learnt it from a doctor! LOL

Anyway, you are a nurse, you know better smile Thanks for your detailed information.

• Posted

I was thanking you for making me look again because I forgot the part about blood in a wet environment. I am going by what the CDC says about it and they are usually correct.  I did not learn this as a nurse but through lots of research I didn't even trust my doctor at first and threw away everything when I found out and totally bleached every surface in my home.  I over did it I know but I was that scared when I found out.  I did not mean to sound harsh as I think I did after reading what I wrote so very sorry if I did.

• Posted

No worries. I took it in a good way. Yes, we have to always double check. I did not know about the dry and wet environment. 

Cheers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.