Bad dermatitis around boyfriend, lost for causes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I (19) have bad atopic dermatitis - and it seems to be closely related to being with my boyfriend. When not around him it can react, but nowhere near to the degree as it does when around him.

However, when I'm with him (e.g skin on skin contact) I flare up much more often - and can often feel my skin reacting.

I can manage it a bit with betnovate, but believe this thins my skin and makes me more sensitive for future reactions.

We've been dating a year and a half - it seems to have got worse in that time but that may just be due to us spending more time together. 

Sweat also makes me react - doing anything sweaty means that within a couple of minutes I can feel my skin reacting.

This is particularly bad around my inner elbow and her neck - often causing weeping skin and itching, which makes it difficult for me to sleep.

The weeping areas are particularly itchy for me, sometimes with the skin it's excruciatingly itchy, to the point that my fingers cramp if I don't itch.

Boyfriend and I recently wondered if it was his washing powder - so have changed it the past few days, but doesn't seem to make much difference. It still occurs when we're at different beds/hotels etc. We've been using my washing powder but still getting terrible skin. We don't use different skincare products and the ones we use have minimal ingredients.

I also recently come off the pill (cerelle) - I started approximately a year ago - but has come off as my skin got worse after I started (but that could have just been due to us having more sexually active/being more in contact since I started). I haven't been sexually active before I met him so was wondering if this was a cause.

It's bad in creases - e.g behind ears, back of knees etc., the worst places are on my neck (front back and sides) and the inner crease of elbows.

I use zerobase cream, betnovate occasionally, and am also on citralopram which makes docs unwilling to prescribe antihistamines.

it can't just be him, because when my skin is bad I react to me as well, not just him.

any advice at all would be amazing.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hmmm...does he have any pets you may be allergic to? What about the type of laundry detergent he uses? Cologne?
  • Posted

Hi! I am so sorry to hear that! I'm 25 and i also suffer from eczema. I definitely undestand what you are going through! I had a similar issue with my boyfriend, and nothing seemed to work. We switched to a gentle and natural detergent, and he does not wear cologne anymore. This seemed to help tremendously! In addition to that, I was not a fan of taking the prescribed topical creams, they were expensive, dangerous, and not effective. I found this cream from a US based company called TruKid that is all-natural and steroid free. I apply it when needed, and it has done wonders for my skin.My skin is no longer red, or nearly as dry or flaky. Best of luck to you and your boyfriend. I understand how tough this can be! smile Let me know if you are interested and would like the link to the cream company's site!
  • Posted

Hi,

Did you find a solution ?

I have the same problem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.