Bakers cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all,

Over the past month, I've developed knee pain. It's odd because it doesn't hurt too much when I'm walking around or playing sports, but when I sit down for a while, it stiffens up and becomes extremely stiff and painful to straighten out. The pain radiates from the back of the knee.

My PCP looked at it and felt the back of my knee and said I probably have a Baker's cyst.

The pain hasn't been as bad the past week or so.

My question is is will this clear up on its own? Will it be something that comes and goes?

Thanks

Tom

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

A number of people on here have discussdiscussed having one and the remarks have ranged from a nuisance to extremely painful. I would suggest getting to an orthopedic surgeon for either a scan or mri. There is also a form of pvns that acts that way. You can Google PVNS for the info. I have the diffused type that causes much more pain and bleeding than the cyst form. BTW...neither are a malignant form. Problem is very few Dr's have seen them as they are rare. If you are close to a medical s hool or large regional hospital you have the best chance of early diagnosis.
  • Posted

One other point, pvns most commonly surfaces between teen age years and 40's but mine hit in my mid 60's
  • Posted

Hi tom. I have bakers cysts in both knees and they developed about 4 yr ago I also have arthritis and was initially referred to Fairfield hosp. Consultant told me only way to get rid was tkr but that I was too young and damage wasn't bad enough. It burst shortly afterwards but then filled up again I was 54 then. I was referred again in January to wrightington and had tkr in may. I mentioned cyst and was told the op MAY remedy the cyst. I still have it and am just hoping it will eventually disappear The surgeon said it could be drained but it would probably fill up again in couple if weeks It is a problem because of the stiffness and tightness in calf I have heard there is an op to repair the tear which allows the cyst to develop and sm seriously thinking of asking go to refer me to someone Linda x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.