Band pre op meeting

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am going to The Nuffield hospital for my pre op meeting. I have been on a diet on and off for 20 years and decided that I want to get a band to help get to a manageable weight for life. My BMI is 30 and I am right on the boarder line for getting it but I am just asking has anyone else been to The Nuffield? It is by no means the cheapest but apparently your a life long member and any follow up is included.. Any info? Also I am really worried about leaks? Any info would be appreciated.

I hope lose about 3 stone. Also will it be ok if I do lose some prior to op/ meeting? Just I normally can get one stone off but then slowly creaps back on..

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ross

I had my band fitted in march with the Hospital Group.

So far so good!

In the pre op diet I lost over a stone in 2 weeks.

I have lost another stone since.

I need to loose another 8 stone so a long way to go.

Having been the band has been harder than I ever expected. It is far from the easy route people make it out to be.

I did a lot of research an knew that I was making a difficult decision. I don't regret having it but I wish I had talked to more people who had been banded to better prepare myself.

Take your time in making this lifelong decision and talk to those who have had the band for pros and cons.

Good luck

Lissa

X

• Posted

Hi how did you do your reaserch ? I looked online but can't find much about it . Went to my GP but all he did was check online . Did you have your op done private? How did you choose the clinic/hospital and surgeon? I really appreciate if you could help me . Thank you !
    • Posted

http://wlsinfo.org.uk/  ; you could go on this website for some straigh tf orward and honest advice whilst doing your research - it is important to weigh up all the pros and cons - the band is not for everyone - it is slower and you need to build up restriction with several fills over a period of time - one thing to take into consideration if you are having a band is that you will need fills so location of the hosp might be important as you will need to return avery 6 wks or so until you have that ultimate level of restriciton - talk to the people who have actually had the surgery you are contemplating - join a support group or chat online - good luck 
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

wow 3 stone is amazing.

what are you finding difficult? is it the intake of cals? the amount you can eat?

the meeting went well and really informative. i need to have a further consulatation as i am on the boarder line and would need further consultation if i go ahead.

i am arranging an appointment for this thursday so fingers crossed.

ross

• Posted

Hi Ross

I chatted with people online and looked into information on the net.

I also talked to some people who had weight loss surgery.

Some private clinics do meeting for people to come along and chat with the nurses and other patients.

I chose the hospital group after reading reviews and they had a 2yrs after care package (if going private you really should pay extra for a long after care package as if something is going to go wrong It's usually in the first 2yrs).

I find it hard to get my head around the new way of eating. My head wants to eat eat eat but my body won't let me.

Having to chew my food 20 times, wait 20 seconds in between bites, having bites no bigger than a 20 pence piece and only eating for 20 minutes is difficult and tedious.

You really have to work hard to retrain your mind. You automatically go to eat as before but if you do you feel pain and pay for it for hours afterwards.

I'd be happy to chat if you have face book messenger.

Not many Lissa ' s on there so easy to find.

Kindest regards

Lissa Carroll

• Posted

Hi lissa. Are u based in Sunderland? If so I have added u fingers crossed! Ha

I would really appreciate having a chat, I am from Hebburn! Lol

I have another appointment with consultant on the 8th July so fingers crossed.

I desperately want it done now. 100%

But I guess having a first hand chat would be so helpful

Ross

• Posted

O i c, I cannot see you :-( I am ross Jameson-Laffey if u can add me?

Thanks so much :-)

• Posted

Hi Lissa,

I wonder if I could have a chat with you?  I am also borderline 30 BMI (same as Ross) and hoping for some advice/feedback on the op and aftermath of it.  I am with hospital group and going for my 2nd consultation next Tuesday, with a possible op date on the 16th August at Birmingham.  Would love to chat about a few things before deciding for sure.  

• Posted

Hi All, 

I have now decided not to go with the Nuffield and have since booked with the Hospital Group on 10th July. I am extremely excited now and cannot wait. fingers crossed all is good and i will up date on how i feel post op. I have decided to Vlog my experiances from start to finish on Youtube also so once i up load i will upload my Username etc. 

• Posted

Hi Ross, was there a reason you chose Nuffield over the one in Birmingham and did you pay much more?
  • Posted

i would say that what you need to consider is if you are borderline for getting this op done and then you lose a stone you could poss be classed as no longer borderline and therefore not eligible to meet the criteria for the op - if the Nuffield offers life long cover then presumably that would cover a leak or does this cover just provide for fills - you need to be clear what exactly you get -
  • Posted

Hi Ross, I am also going for a second consultation and I have a BMI of 30.  It is the hospital group also but they are sending me to Birmingham for the op on the 16th August if I am happy with the consultation.  I am just so aware that this is a bit drastic and not sure whether to go through it or try again to lose weight the conventional way.  We'll see how I feel after next Tuesday's consul.

How did your second consultation go and do you have to lose weight before the op?  If so, will this not take you down to below 30 BMI?  I am also worried about this as I don't want to pay to only find out they won't operate on the day because I am under the guidline BMI.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.