Barrets/breathlessness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I was diognosed with 8cm of barretts a while back and prescribed 80mg omeprazole a day. This has helped my symoms of gerd quite a bit however I have persistent breathlessness even after the most simple tasks I was wondering if this is normal for people with barretts?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Breathlessness can be a symptom, however I wouldn't say it is normal for someone on treatment. Afraid it might be a trip back to the docs to get checked, might need some blood tests to check for aneamia.

Best wishes

aa

• Posted

Your Barrett's was caused by reflux of acid.

Whereas the omeprazole has reduced the acid to make the reflux less dangerous, it is not so effective against the reflux which is a mechanical action.

It is the reflux, contiinuing full column and breaching the upper oesophageal sphincter that can cause the breathlessness by aspirating into the respiratory system.

Visit the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk and read about reflux and its management - particularly the chapter on "Extra-oesophageal reflux".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.