Barrets with high grade Dysplasia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi a few weeks ago I waa referred for a scope due to extreme acid )including vomitting blood). The initial scope showed an ulcer and Barretts with high grade dysplasia. I was put on esomeprazole, I was referrered to a surgeon who immediatley starting talking about revoval of the oesophageal passage. In the interim he referred me to another gasro guy who did a scope plus EUS (that bloody hurt!) yeserday and took more indept biopsies. 

While the biopsies will take some time to come back, the scope showed a massive decrease in the ulcer.  The Ultrasound showed everything clear. 

Even if the biopsies prove cancerous or precancrous, does the degradation of the ulver give me some more options.  The Gastro guy yesterday said he would be astnished if they had to operate on me. 

He has also recommended 300mg Ranitidine at night time on top of the esomeprazole.

If the worst comes to the worse, what sort of non surgical options do I have? I keep hearing about HALO but I'm not sure my insurance will over that. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi fitzy 

did your GI dr make no mention of ablation ? I too have Barrett's with low dysplatia 

And get scoped every two years he told if it ever progressed to a higher grade he would send me in for ablation procedure and this would lower or rid me of the higher grade 

• Posted

No because of the ulcer he said surgery was the only option. 

I might seek a second opinion!

• Posted

BEcuase I have an ulcer as well, ablation doesn't look like a solution.

However, the last scope showed a significant reduction in the ulcer - if I can get this down to a certain size (Or disappear) then ablation looks like a solution. Also I had a Endoscopic Ultrasound (urrrgh) as well last time and that was clear for all surrounding tissue and showed no nodes etc.  

So I just need to wait for the biopsy results now to see what the next steps are. 

I am really keen to explore the HALO method but it all reall depends onteh ulcer reducton and the biopsy results. 

• Posted

When dealing with the possibility of esophagus cancer I would definitely seek a second opinion 
  • Posted

OK an update on this.

I have through three further scopes, under a different consultant, which showed no dysplasia.

The ulcer has cleared up, so I'm not getting bloody vomit.

However I have a 10cm Baretts segment.

He therefore recommended that I get HALO.

So I saw the guy who he referred me to last week. He now wants to do an endoscopic mucosal resection as he tells me that he has never seen a case of initial high grade dysplasia revert to no dysplasia. The EMR will give him a bigger sample size to look at.

I know pathologists differ, but is it possible the orginal diagnosis was incorrect? I know that is best case scenario. Worst is that the subsequent scopes haven't picked up the dysplasia and I have an underlying cancer.

Also, if it is an underlaying cancer, what could that be?

Finally, has anyone had an EMR and how did it compare to a "standard scope"?

BW

Fitzy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.