Barretts

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband has now been diagnosed with low grade dysplasia and has been told he will have the halo treatment has anyone else had this done and how long do you need to be off work for 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Radio Frequency Ablation (previously known as "halo" but that name is trademarked), burns away the Barrett's cells which will be replaced by new squamous cells.

It will depend upon the size of the area to be treated, how many treatments your husband requires. Normally they will burn away a couple of centimetres at a time for a long length. If it is a short length, he may only need the one full treatment using the 360 head followed up with, typically, a couple of visits wher the smaller 90 head is used to "touc up" the bits that weren't removed initially.

Each treatment is done as an out patient procedure lasting perhaps 45 minutes to an hour.

Some people report some pain (sore throat) for up to a couple of weeks afterwards though others feel it's no worse than an ordinary endoscopy. It's not possible to predict how much time he'll need off work (if any).

You may wish to read this ispirational story from a Barrett's Wessex member who feels RFA saved his life: https://sites.google.com/site/barrettswessex/about-us/members/bill-2

• Posted

Thank you for your reply this was very helpful and the link was very helpful too and easy to understand thank you 
  • Posted

I didn't think HALO was offered to low grade patients?
    • Posted

His dad died from cancer of the oesophagus so think this is why they going to do this 
  • Posted

Interesting this. My Dad also died of Oesophageal cancer but my hospital hasn't offered this option. What are other people's experiences?
    • Posted

It was the case that Radio Frequency Ablation wasn't normally available on NHS for Low Grade Dysplasia unless the gastroenterologist mad a good case for it, but in Jukly last year, NICE santioned its use for LGD so it should be available:

"Current evidence on the efficacy of endoscopic radiofrequency ablation for Barrett's oesophagus with low‑grade dysplasia is adequate provided that patients are followed up in the long term. There are no major safety concerns. Therefore, this procedure may be used in patients with Barrett's oesophagus with low‑grade dysplasia with normal arrangements for clinical governance, consent and audit or research."

If you have LGD and want RFA, ask if you can have it. If you are being denied it with no good reason, Medtronics/Covidien (who distribute the device) would like to know.

• Posted

Thanks Barretts, very useful information. I have non dysplasia and according to the NICE Guidelines I would only be offered RFA if I was a research candidate but it also appears that NICE may consider offering RFA to non dysplasia patients in the future. Interesting stuff and many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Nurses and Consultants never tell you about this type of thing and they should.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.