Barretts oesophagus with displacer

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband is having Radiofrequency ablation tomorrow and we are both very worried about it and hope it's going to be a simple operation but worried how he will be after for eating as he has lost a lot of weight already has anyone else has this treatment done and can advise us thankyou 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Susan all the positive thoughts to go with you and your husband being a fellow Barrett's suffer for four years I am always worried that my next will show something also  and that I will have to have this done also but of course who really knows for sure please give us updates and experiences it would greatly benefit a lot of people at least the ablation  is an option that means  it was caught at a very early stage and very treatable good luck and take care
  • Posted

Hi Susan,

It's natural to feel worried. However, I know a number who have had this treatment and are very happy with it.

I chair a charity that purchased an RFA machine for our local hospital at Southampton. We have members who consider it saved their lives.

Depending upon the area of Barrett's to be ablated, typically he'll need about 3 treatments. The frst is the worst when they burn away the largest part. Some people experience a sore throat for a while. Rarely, I know a couple of patients who found it quite painful afterwards but others who say it's no worse than a gastroscopy and some say it's even better than a scope as they're usually slightly more sedated.

The greatest relief, however, is knowing that risks of progression to cancer are virtually eliminated.

If you find BarrettsWessex org uk website, you can read members's stories: "I owe my life to the machine Barrett's Wessex bought", "Thanks to BW, I kept my oesophagus" and "I may owe my life to HALO treatment". (RFA used to be known as HALO)

Good luck and hope all goes well.

• Posted

Well my husband had is Radiofrequency ablation yesterday and came home today and pleased to say it went well he said his chest is very sore and his throat is sore which is to be expected he went to theatre at 5pm and came back to the ward at 6.30 pm and had a drip Put in for fluids and was allowed water at 9pm and then some soft food at 10pm and felt OK he was allowed toast in the morning and he was surprised he had toast be was told if you feel OK eating it then just eat normal food but nothing very hot or very ice cold the dr came to see him at 8am and said you will need a endoscopy and biopsies in 6 weeks to see if there is any displacer left but you will possibly need another course of treatments and to double up on the amoprozone  he was allowed home at 9am and he is feeling ok and doing normal things thankyou for all your good wishes and hope this will reassure anyone having this treatment done 

• Posted

Gld things went well. Getting rid of dysplasia means he has minimal risk of getting the cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.