Bartholin cyst

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

anyone out there ?? Ready to loose my mind..was diagnosed with Bartholin cyst last week ..I've been doing sitz baths with Epsom salt and Mortin...seems to be alittle bigger like size of a dime ..I'm scared that I will need surgery..it's also throbbing any suggestions ? My dr said if it got worse to call it wasn't infected two days ago and dont believe it is now ..when will this thing go away ??

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Everyone seems to have different stories! Mine never went away...but also never got infected...I ended up with one on each side...sitz baths helped...ibuprofen helped the dull ache. I am two weeks out having both glands totally removed. The whole ordeal started over a year ago which was when I noticed a painful lump on the right side. I had it drained twice last May/June...then noticed smaller one on the left...never had that drained. Long story short....pain on right side progressed to constant hip pain and butt cheek pain...which did totally disappeared when cyst was drained. I opted to have both glands removed. A narly surgery to say the least...but I worked all day today (on my feet for 7 hours) and did ok. Take it slow...don't jump to doing surgery right away. Find someone who is willing to talk to you about it. Unless u are past menopause the liklihood of it being cancerous is very rare. I hope the sitz baths help it drain!!! Good luck to you!!
    • Posted

I have had two almond sized ones in the past that went away on their own in a couple of days.  This past Sunday, I woke up with one about the size of a golf ball that burned like hell. I went to the doctor yesterday and had it drained.  The doctor gave me a shot of antibiotics.  It kills me to sit.  Today, its still swollen.  I don't know if more fluid has accumulated, or what.  I'm supposed to go back to the doctor tomorrow for her to check it and determine if I need surgery. 

I just want this thing gone!  I've heard from several women that it is caused by an ingrown hair from showing in your bikini area.  I'll never shave again if I have to go through this.

What scares me is I have read where several of you said it never went away.  I can't live with this pain.   Does the surgery help at all ???

• Posted

Hi Llori98291

Very true everyone has different situations lol !

It actually started to drain this am ..should I worry still ? I'm thinking of possibly having dr take a look at it again..

Renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

Dont fear the surgery...dont put up with pain.  If you struggle to walk then head to the doctor.  They basically make a tiny cut and let the liquid drain.

Read about Silica on this forum.  My saviour.  I spray directly onto the cyst.  Works a treat!  Sending you a hug.   

• Posted

Hi Miranda, as I said above, yesterday I had it drained but its still large. 

I was so exhausted yesterday after being the doctor's office for four hours. They were very crowded.  What do they do in the surgery that is different from making the incision and draining it ? 

I am very interested in the silica spray!  Thank you for mentioning it.  I'll check that out!  smile 

• Posted

Thank you Miranda! It started to draw this morning..I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow and possibly have dr take a look again!

This whole thing is annoying !

The Sicilia is a spray from whole foods ?

Renee

• Posted

I just ordered the Silica spray from Amazon and the tablets too. 
  • Posted

Everybody does different things. I have had them for 3 years. Never getting infected and no larger than a green grape. But what works for me to get them gone fast and drain. Is silicea pills (found at whole foods or natural shops) and honestly putting a raw onion on it. Helps open the pore up to drain naturally. It doesn't burn. Just cut it. Put the raw side on it and let it sit for an hour or so. I know it's crazy but it work for me. Every time I feel like getting a little to big or a little to hard. ONION!
    • Posted

Hi Toritoritori

Thank you I will try that ! It actually started draining this am but still a little uncomfortable.. I will see how I feel tomorrow this isnt fun!

Renee

• Posted

No they are not fun at all. N very uncomfortable. Give the onion a try! And as hard as it is try not to think about it. Stupid thing to say bc it's ALL you can think about but try. They are livable. I haven't had a flair up in almost a year. U can feel when it's about to swell like you feel a pimple coming on your face. I tried tracking mine: after sex/period/high stress. I still don't know when they come. But forgetting about it and not thinking about it is what helped me the most
    • Posted

Hi Toritoritori

One more question why do I feel pressure down there like when I sit ?

• Posted

Ask as many questions as you want! Us women feel like freaks enough with how our bodies act up. It's just nice to know we are not alone! I would do the onion tonight to keep the pore open. Let it just continue to drain. I really hope it works for you.

The pressure is just because the gland is swollen. If it's hard it's stuffed. So it's just the pressure of needing to be release and you are sitting on it. I remember sitting on pretty much one cheek while driving just for relief. As long as it's not painful. Maybe a little throbbing from the pressure. But mine never hurt unless I was picking at it. If it's pain then you should see a doctor.

• Posted

Thank you ! I put a call into my dr ! I'm considering doing the masp surgery ..

Renee

• Posted

I agree with Tori in that mine never really hurt unless I applied pressure somehow...either squeezing it...riding my bike...sitting too long on a hard surface.
    • Posted

Yeah mine is really aggravated still

Waiting for a call from dr

Thanks

Renee

• Posted

From what I can tell...and have read...there seems to be the ones that get infected repeatedly...and the ones that don't and just cause discomfort now and then. So very frustrating for all us ladies dealing with these!!!
    • Posted

And sorry that it's still bothering you! I went to my 2 week post-op bilateral gland removal and while everything healing well...still causing me pain as well. Arghhhh!!! Thought I was done with the norco as i have not had to take one since Sunday...but after working 8 hours yesterday (all on my feet walking around) and driving to my doctors appointment today (3 hours in the car) I got home and had to take a norco. It is getting better though!!
    • Posted

A little of my back story. I was 19 when I first encountered one. It came on suddenly but with in a few days burst and drained on its own. Fast forward a few years after my 3rd child and all of a sudden I wake up and can't walk. My dad and sister went with me to the emergency room and I had it lanced. I was good for a few years and then all of a sudden here it comes again. Since then I've had them resurface almost back to back. For the most part I've been able to live with it. I've had it lanced about 6 times. I've been tested for cancer and cleared. I've tryed almost every home remedy out there. This is the first time I have heard about acv and onion. The sitz baths never worked for me. My doctor said no to removal. An onion seems out of the ordinary and a little crazy but I'm desperate. Does it burn?
    • Posted

It's incredibly crazy. It doesn't burn at all. But it works for me. Just like it opens up your tear ducts to cry it opened up my blocked duck. I have no medical facts for this I just read it from someone in a rural country n thought I'd give it a go. I had nothing to lose but sleep n sanity!
    • Posted

I never tried it. I actually didn't try much in the way of home remedies. Did not find much info supporting any of them...meaning some say it would work and others say it wouldn't. Also have to remember that even though it's a home remedy and natural....your body is still absorbing it and there may be side effects not so pleasant from using too much. Muscous membranes absorb stuff much faster than your regular skin.

Curious why if you have had yours drained so many times total gland removal is not an option? Are you in the USA? While doctor shopping ill advised, especially for things like pain meds, if your current doctor uncomfortable with removal, then you might look around for another who has had that experience? Gland removal is actually not advised in most situations, however for those of us where draining them repeatedly doesn't work, there isn't much choice.

I wish you the best of luck! I know the home remedies work for some!!

• Posted

Yes I am in the USA. I'm not sure why my doctor said no to removal but he was actually my 3rd opinion and all of them the same. Everyone wants to lance it and put me on antibiotics and pain meds. (I'm not big on pain meds and never have been so I always opt out of those.) In my opinion finding a random place to cut open my cyst isn't addressing the clogged pore. I've conveyed over and over that the sitz baths dont work for me. And I'm sick of ER Doctors looking at me strange and thinking they know my body better than I do.

I'm up for trying almost anything. How would I go about applying the onion? Where do I put it? How long do I let it sit?

It sounds weird but I'd rather my crotch smell like a salad than deal with this anymore.

• Posted

I don't know how to do the onion thing. I think someone else said she cuts an onion and places it in the gland for a few hours? You mentioned ER docs....are those the ones telling you no to gland removal? If so....that would be a good thing. :-)They are not trained to do so. I went to a specialty gynocologist (am in USA too) who specializes in vaginal surgery...and even he had a gynocologist/oncologist (super specialized) scrub in on my surgery to remove both glands which had both developed into cysts (but not infected) . They can't do anything but drain them, place a word catheter, and/or marsup them when they are infected. I am a nurse and have worked in the ER and the OR. From what my specialized gyno said, gland removal can only happen when the area has no infection. However, even then, they still need to be able to feel them (the gland remains large and possibly full of excess fluid)...but not infected. Does any of that make sense?

Try the onion. That would makes sense. Just remember the tissues down there are super sensitive! The only thing sitz baths did for me was temporarily make things feel better...but mine were never infected.

And if you have not found a specialized gynocologist...start looking around. The ER docs are amazing and most are good at their jobs...but for long term care...a specialized gyno is what u are looking for. I even went to 2 regular gynos...and they were hesitant on the treatment of BC's.

Hope that helps!! Good day!!

• Posted

I have had two almond sized ones in the past that went away on their own in a couple of days.  This past Sunday, I woke up with one about the size of a golf ball that burned like hell. I went to the doctor yesterday and had it drained.  The doctor gave me a shot of antibiotics.  It kills me to sit.  Today, its still swollen.  I don't know if more fluid has accumulated, or what.  I'm supposed to go back to the doctor tomorrow for her to check it and determine if I need surgery. 

I just want this thing gone!  I've heard from several women that it is caused by an ingrown hair from showing in your bikini area.  I'll never shave again if I have to go through this.

What scares me is I have read where several of you said it never went away.  I can't live with this pain.   Does the surgery help at all ?

I just found out this morning it will  need to be surgically removed.  sad

• Posted

No I've been to the ER to have it lanced a few times because the pain became unbearable and it was a weekend so my doctors office was closed. I have a regular gyno and I've have gotten 2nd and 3rd opinions. I dont understand what I'm doing wrong. I eat healthy no processed foods and I work out regularly. I went for years without an outbreak. Thought I was good but as of about 10 yrs ago I've been just maintaining a comfortable existence until it gets irritated. It hurts my marriage, my moods, my mobility and Dispite my close friendships and family relationships it's hard to talk about because I'm the only one I know that suffers from this. No one understands. I only talk about this with my husband now. Finding this forum was relieving for me. Not that I wish any of you ladies to have to deal with this but it is nice to know I'm not alone and that home remedies have worked for some of you. I will try the onion. After I'm done hopefully I will have some good news.
    • Posted

I dont think they know what causes it. I was told once that I took too many baths and didn't give my body enough time to build up good bacterias. Then I was told I didn't take enough baths (vs showers). I've heard if you have ever had an std but that would rule me out. If ever a clear cut reason came across I'm pretty sure we would all never do it again and women who haven't had this would never pic up that habit.
    • Posted

Yeah...agreeably as frustrating...as I eat healthy and am an avid exerciser...running, biking, hiking, skiing, etc....there is no reason I could find other than constant friction on my bike seat...both mountain bike and road bike. I have put in 20 lbs or so in the last year...trying to exercise when I could. Apparently...I exercise to eat! Am trying to modify myeati g habits...but hard to do! My husband has been super supportive...but not sure my VAG will ever be the same to him! I have started talking about it with friends...especially after surgery...and while they have sympathy, none of them have had one. I get up every day and am thankful I have a great life and I can move and eat and talk. That's what keeps me going! It could be worse (that's what I tell myself!).

Cheers!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.