Bartholin Cyst - Should I get the surgery? What should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I am new here but after experiencing what I have been experiencing, I need some advice from women who have gone through the same thing.

I have had a BC for 2 years but it was the size of a small marble and only really caused slight pain/discomfort after sex. Recently however, about 11 days ago, I noticed it grow in size and it began to itch and give me discomfort...like a deep pressure pain.  It has only gotten worse and now it has grown to the size of a large egg accompanied by periodic sharp burning pains.  

I have been to my doctor twice and a hospital once and they have given me antibiotics and pain killers. Before, one painkiller every 2 hours was working but over the past 24hrs, I need to take 2. I was also told that if it does not go down or get better in a week, that I should go to the hospital and have a procedure done.

Was really hoping to avoid the hospital but now, with how big it is, I am afraid that home remedies won't work. I have had warm baths with epsom salts every day for an hour and warm compresses but it doesn't seem to help.  My doctor told me that it will not rupture on its own however, I have read on here a number of cases where it has remedied itself.  

Can I speed up this process at home? Are there things I can try before resorting to the hospital?

I have been fortunate enough so far in my life, I am 36, to never have had stitches, broken bones or surgery so I am terrified of any procedure which involves me being put under general and where someone will be cutting me open...

So, it is the holidays and while I am in pain....I don't want to be incapacitated even more so than I am now, on christmas or new years. I also have a 6 hour drive ahead of me next week and I'm wondering if I should just try to suck it up and wait until the new year or just go to the emergency now?

I also have a question about the healing for the marsupialization...if I choose to get that done....I have read that they make an incision and then pull the skin back and stitch it there so that the hole in the cyst is exposed and can drain. But that the skin is kept that way and then heals on its own....once it is healed...is the scar noticable? Do you become deformed or does one labia look significantly different from the other?

I really don't know what to do because I have been on numerous sites and while I have read a few success stories I have read more posts on complications and regreting the surgical option and that in spite of all that invasive treatmen, the BC came back.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated...I am bordering on going to the hospital right now but I would rather try to remedy this myself sad

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I've had 8 of these, and eventually got the surgery. Since this is your first one, I would recommend having it lanced and drained (the doctor gives you a shot of novocaine, then slices the cyst and drains the liquid out.) As appealing as taking care of it at home sounds, the doctor can do more to ensure all the liquid comes out which will greatly lessens your chances of getting another. You would be able to have this done at the hospital or obgyn, but even your general practitioner should be able to do this in their office.

If for some reason you get it again (about a 3% chance) then I would look into the surgery, but there's no reason that should be nessecary unless you get another. If you have it drained they also don't have to catheterize it either, it only make it more painful in my opinionz

• Posted

Thank you cyrah for the advice.....my doctor had made it sound like it will come back for sure if I do anything but the surgery.
    • Posted

Hi again,

Just curious, do you know approximately what the recovery time is for the lancing? I would assume it is less than if you get the surgery/word cath.?

• Posted

Recovery from lancing is basically instant. I would take the day off work if possible just to not agitate the area but it's not necessary. I waited about a week for sex with the lancing as well. Im not sure exactly what surgery your doctor was suggesting- last summer I had a procedure called bartholins cyst excision. I was back to work a couple of days after but held off on sex for about 12 weeks. That procedure involved removing the cyst sac.

For most women lancing once solves the problem and the cyst never returns, and then other procedures are nessecary. Basically, I'd recommend the lancing, and if it returns look into other options. I found a study on the recurrance rate of different procedure I will look for later and try to link to you!

• Posted

I'm sorry love!

I recommend the surgery (had mine 10.18.16)but it's painful and you will be down for at least 2 weeks. No scarring, sex again in 4 weeks. For right now though, to get through the holidays, go get some tea tree oil and soak in a bath to reduce swelling. Also I enjoyed sitting on a bag of ice but others said heat. Lots of wine is my only other suggestion! It's miserable!

• Posted

Thank you lisamarie76 for the advice.  I will try to hold out until the holidays are over before going to the hospital.
  • Posted

Hi, ive suffered with these for years. They would swell up and i would have to get them lanced. About a year ago i noticed i had alot on both sides. Went to my gyn consultant and was put on list for surgery which i had on 31st October this year. Well im so glad i had it done. I had it done under a general anesthectic as a day patient. , they removed the skin both sides with all the cysts attached , i will be honest for the first few weeks i was in agony and developed an infection and the swelling was horrendous but now nearly 8 weeks post op im feeling back to normal, still a bit tender and i feel different down below , they did remove alot of skin in my case. Im so pleased ive had it done. I was worried about having surgery but really it was nothing to worry about. Pre op checks and care were great and i was put to sleep very quick. Next thing i knew i was back on the recovery ward 

good luck i hope you get the help you need and feel better soon xx

• Posted

Hi elaine49943, Thanks so much for your advice.  I think I am going to go to the hospital just to hear what they have to say regarding options, recovery and pain and go from there.

The issue is that I am moving next week and am not sure if I should just wait to have any procedure prefeormed until then.

• Posted

I used to find when i had the cyst lanced the relief was almost instant. Yes it was sore but not as bad as a big cyst. I would def see your doctor asap. I can understand why you are worried as you are moving but just get some advice xx.

Re surgery you will prob have to go on a waiting list. It took 10 weeks for me to get a date for surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.