Bartholin gland removal (Questions!)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies, soni have been dealing with BC and abscess since 2013, I seriously can't believe it has been 4 years now. Anyway, I have had it lanced 4 times and it has drained on its on twice (so total of 6 abscess). All the time she I have had it drained I didn't have a word catheter just gauze. The last time which was just in November (mind you that I had a really bad one in August 2016) they actually put a word catheter for the first time. Doc said hopefully it will keep it from recurring, but I am sure that it will come back. My gland is already damaged and I have scar tissues that causes me stingy pain sometimes. Doc said he will do a marzupalisation if it'll come back again but I have read and done my research that marzup usually works for first timers and not women that have already had recurrnaces. I have an appt with my obgny this month to talk about my BC, my questions are: can the gland be removed with out having abscess? Should I be firm about having the gland removed or opt out for marzup (I really don't want the marzup) I know the recovery sucks but if you ladies have had it how was it? And how was your sex life afterward? How long did you wait to have sex? Did you experience any problems?

I'm tired of worrying about this! I'm 25 and this is drowning me and it has affected me my sex life with my partner because now I am scared to have sex because I think the cyst might come back sad

I just want this to stop I want my life back seriously. Please help me this ladies. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi steph,

Personally, I had the gland removed because I didn't want to deal with these monsters all my life. I've read that with the marsup. There are still some reocurrences. And there you go again. It's been a year and no problem.

• Posted

Hi sophy, thank you for your response. Did you get your gland taken out with out absess or with absess. I have an appointment with my doctor this month so I want to discuss this matter.
    • Posted

Hi sophy82113, I'm looking into removing my gland  after several occurrence with my cyst and wantd to get your feedback? on experience

• Posted

Hello,

I had it removed when it was a big cyst, it didn't hurt but it was big. So I would say it was not an abscess yet bc the abscess is when it's already hurting and infected.

I had the BC problem for 3 or 4 years and I was miserable, it felt like i lived with it for 10 years.....I hated that all the procedures ppl talk about it mostly come back. So I opted for gland removal. It was tough pain after surgery but it gets better with the time. And oh my, no more cyst in my I intimate parts anymore pleaseee

• Posted

Sophy82113 happy to hear you have a good positive feedback about your gland being removed.   i will be doing my research to get this done. 
    • Posted

I'll be here if u need anything else. Good luck to u for ur soon relief.

• Posted

Hey Stephanie,

I got both of my glands removed over a year ago and I'm really happy I made that decision. I was going to the hospital at least one a month to get infected cysts lanced and they kept coming back no matter what. Although the recovery was quite painful and rough, and I do occasionally feel pain in the spot where the glands were to this day, I don't regret it at all. I remember how stressful and annoying it was -- I too was afraid to have sex because of the possibility of having to go to the ER the next day to get a cyst lanced. 

Today things are pretty much back to normal, including sex life. Like I said, I still experience some pain and soreness from time to time, but my gyno said that the vagina is one of the most sensitive parts of the body and could take years for things to be totally back to normal. I know that sounds scary, but for me it really was worth it. Make sure you choose a gyno who has done the surgery successfully before so that they do it right the first time. I've heard of women who had unsuccessful surgery and the cysts came back afterwards. Nightmare!! Also, a lot of doctors will tell you that recovery time is six weeks. Maybe for some women, but generally the recovery time will be a lot longer. Take at LEAST a week or two off from work or work from home if you can, and don't try having sex until you feel totally comfortable. 

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I'm glad that you are doing so much better now. I will be going to see my gyno tomorrow to talk about my cyst. I really hope everything goes well with my problem, praying that it does. Again thank you for your input it gave me a lot of confidence! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.