Basal Joint Surgery with tendon & riding motorcycle

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm getting ready for the basal joint surgery where they replace the joint with a wadded up tendon. I'm a long time biker (motorcyclist) and my bike is my primary mode of transportation for my 60 mile round trip commute. I have a pickup but it uses 3x the gas as the bike! I was wondering if anyone has had this surgery and also rides? How quick were you able to get back on the bike safely? My clutch hand is the one getting the surgery and it's my non-dominant hand.

Thanks for the help!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

JamiFL, are you in Florida? Just curious where you are having the surgery. I need both hands done but I keep putting it off.
    • Posted

I'm in Gainesville, FL. Dr. Powell is the only one I'd trust to do hand surgery on me. He's done 4 or 5 other hand/wrist sirgeries for me. He practices at The Orthopaedics Institute.

• Posted

I'm in Lakeland and Gainesville is not that far to go. I want to make sure I find the best surgeon before I do it. When is your surgery schedule and how long will you be down/out of work etc... Go Gators!!

• Posted

Don't know yet. I want to go to Bike Week Daytona first plus I have biker political thing on April 10th in Tallahassee that I want to do If I can stand the pain that long.

• Posted

Ask the surgeon and physio they will tell you. 

I have had two joint replacements and for them it was eight weeks before I could get back on the motorbike. Just had surgery again and and it's looking like six weeks before I will be able to pull the lever without pain 

• Posted

I will when I talk to them about scheduling it. Trying to delay until mid-April if I can.
    • Posted

Have you had the thumb basal surgery? Is there a less evasive surgery that can be done with a quicker recovery time?
    • Posted

nope, haven't had it yet. When I discussed options with Dr. Powell, he said try cortisone first which I have done about 2 weeks ago. That hurt like the dickens! He said give it 2 weeks and that will be Monday. So far no luck. The only thing that helps is wearing the splint (http://www.push.eu/products/hand-braces/push-ortho-thumb-brace-cmc) almost 24/7. within an hour of removing it the pain is very bad. 

• Posted

I had the cortisone injection beginning of January. My doctor numbed it so I didn't feel anything. It worked for about 3 weeks and the pain came right back. He gave me Celebrex to try but I haven't tried it yet. I've taken Meloxicam and prescription Ibuprofen which helps some but not enough. I don't want to take strong pain meds. I was asking wknight if he had ever had the thumb basal joint surgery. He mentioned he has had quite a few surgeries and I was curious about his joint replacements.

• Posted

I've been a disabled vet since 1978. Pain issues are just a part of my life. I've tried all those meds and not had much luck. It doesn't help any that I also came down with fibromyalgia. I've had 16 operations plus a few ER type visits to sew up lacerations while I was a kid. No joint replacements but I have had 3 cervical fusions as a result of a C-3 fracture from a sudden dismount of my motorcycle. I've been on various pain meds for a long time, 20+ years. For me, it's no big deal. They allow me to function and continue to work a full time job in spite of my disability.

• Posted

Hi

I'm in uk . I had to unfortunately give up my bike riding days in 2004 due to dropping my bike in garage and dislocating my thumb badly. They put it straight and said no fractures but I was in agony for 3 months. Eventually my doctor sent me back to hospital where a consultant re checked my X-ray and found 4 bad fractures. The only operation they could do was to fuse basal and next joint up. Unfortunately after extensive physio , I couldn't get movement back in my thumb and sadly could no longer ride my bike . These days you can get clutch moved to opposite side etc but I'm now unfortunately riddled with arthritis and a disease called Lupus so I'm just about managing to drive my automatic car and rely on a wheelchair to get me about. Good luck and happy biking

• Posted

I feel for you! I rode from about age 19 to age 32 then took a break while raising kids then at age 50 got back on. Been riding almost daily for the past 10 years. I routinely put 25K-30K miles a year on my bikes and usually less than 10K on my truck. I'm going to need to ride at least another 6 years because of finances. Plus in 2022, I want to start traveling on the bike and seeing the USA. I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 (non-ABS). It's a big bike but its a crap load of fun to ride. Friends call it a mobile couch. 

I don't have thumb pain while riding it normally but the splint does get in the way some. Most of the pain is due to work issues although they denied the workers comp claim. I manage several labs and have to type and work doing bench stuff requiring pipetting and that taxes the thumb a lot! Fortunately its not my dominant hand. I do have outer wrist issues in my dominant hand. I've had several surgeries to clean out scar tissue in it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.