Bath Time?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Hippies 

I have just had my post op 6 week check and apparently I have been to cautious as the consultant bent my new hip every which way and told me it was stable and I could walk without crutches, I have tried this and limp.  I am now being referred to physio at last!!  I forgot to ask when I was able to get into a bath and wondered at what stage other hippies had a first bath.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi as long as scar is OK you can bath now :-) I bathed at 5 weeks with help from my hubby getting in and out and I must say it was bliss enjoy xx
  • Posted

Hiya

Six weeks and one hour! Lovely bath. Had partner nearby of I had gotten into trouble but no worries.

So enjoy bath when you feel ready.

For walking I used Leki poles to assist balance and smooth walking. Worth a try?

Mic

X

• Posted

Keep on using one crutch until you can walk without the limp. Your inner thigh muscles need to be strengthened and retrained. Very surprised your surgeon told you to discard your crutches.
  • Posted

Myconsultant remarked that he was surprised that  I was still using crutches at 4 weeks !!!  

I was still using one at 10 weeks, when he had to do the revision operation because he made a mistake and put the ceramic liner in at an angle.

I would rather be cautious, and using a stick with a slight limp, than over-do it and end up causing damage.

According to my nurse friend, orthopaedic surgeons are 'well known' for having a very poor bedside manner.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I am 6 weeks post op today.  I (very carefully) had my first tub bath at 5 weeks.  It felt wonderful!  smile
  • Posted

I don't take baths, but have no fear, I also limped for awhile and after some physical therapy I don't anymore....she told me I was too stiff and needed to move my hips back and forth more when I walked...I found that when I wasn't so self conscious of limping, it got better....
  • Posted

Hi Toto, 

that is good news --- I am not so sure about ditching the walking aids - the crutches maybe, but maybe you can get a cane or something -  Walking too soon without them will encourage limping as body is not in balance yet -

Make sure you walk properly - stand straight up, relax shoulders, push forward from buttocks, lift feet, heel to toe and repeat - you can look on you tube for videos - 

one step at a time, sweetheart ..

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.