Beconase for Allergic Rhinitis / Hayfever

Posted , 3 users are following.

Beconase was so effective in relieving my allergic rhinitis / hayfever. I got it over the counter. But the chemist told me that my use of beconase should not exceed 3 months, because -- he said -- it's strong. Now, I stopped using beconase since I already passed the 3 months use, but my allergic rhinitis is back. Is it safe to use beconase again? Or, should I wait for some time (how long) until I can use it again? Or, is there any better nasal spray alternative to it? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

ADDENDUM: I used to clean my nose with nasal saline spray (Sterimar) before I spray it with beconase. Now that I cannot use beconase, I'm using only the nasal saline spray just to clean my nose. 
  • Posted

It is safe. This is in any case the strongest stuff you can find over the counter in your country but it is not the strongest medicine for rhinitis at all. All nasal sprays may have side effects, the worse is an increase of the risk of glaucoma. Should not have you or your family history of it, the odds are very low.

What the pharmacist could have meant  is: should you need the spray for more than 3 month, you do not have hay fever, you have a perennial rhinitis which needs further investigation in order to sort it out. 

• Posted

All nasal corticosteroid spray will cause some damage on the long run, thinning the lining of the nose and risk of glaucoma. 

Try to find an alternative to it - maybe saline sprays, or rinse can help. 

Or try to find what you are allergic to and avoid it alltogether.

But sometimes nothing works, so in that case you don't have much alternative but using the spray. But It's good to have break every couple of month so you don't get used to much to it.

• Posted

I have not suggested medicines because my main worry is that you have no diagnosis, people most cases is  allergic to something, treat symptoms without knowing the reason expose you to long term consequences such as chronic sinusitis or allergic asthma. Meanwhile no, if you have no alternative you should not stop treating the rhinitis because in the short term you are exposing yourself to sinus infections. However an option would be oral antihistaminics such as loratadine, cetirizine or rupatadine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.