Bedwetting, have no fear there is lots of help out there. ...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Louise, have no fear there is lots of help out there. I had this problem when I was a little girl (now 39 and very dry at night!!!). I would stay in my bed (that I had wet) because I never knew what reaction I would get from my mother. Some nights it would be "never mind" and others "I am fed up with this" and she would be very cross. So when my first Son had the same problem it was something I was very consious about. Firstly it is not their fault. I went and saw the school nurse who immediately referred me to an Enuresis Nurse who can explain what causes this problem and offers different ways to try and resolve this. It only took 8 months and my Son has never wet the bed since. Good Luck. Jeanette

[i:6f1aaa05c3]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6f1aaa05c3]

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately, many kids do not have the same results as your son, regardless of the time and treatment.  My son is 18 and has tried EVERYTHING including alarms, pads, and medecines since he was 8 to no avail...
  • Posted

I know how frustrating it seems to you because my son had it for many years. We tried everything. Desmoppressin worked on him but caused headaches and water dehydration. The doctor told him to stop.  He finally stopped wetting after 1) a month or two on Miralax. 2) eating Metamucil wafers (1 serving) every day or every other day. 3)) no caffeine. 4) limit dairy. He would go right back to wetting even one day of forgetting to have soft drink/chocolate with caffeine.  Occasionally he can have caffeine in the morning, but definitely not after lunch. Mind you, he had years of alarms, I'm sure that helped too lighten his sleep.  Good luck to you. Keep positive. It's all because of deep sleep, constipation, small bladder, but stress aggravates it too.confused
  • Posted

Hi. I know how upsetting this problem can be as my child suffered from this problem for many years. We tried an alarm twice and desmopressin  twice to no avail. The school nurse was helpful but we came to a point where there was nothing else left to try. I was always reading up on bed wetting and eventually came across a book on Amazon called Stop Bedwetting in 7 Days by Alicia Eaton. I was ready to try anything at that point. The book lays out a 7 day programme that you go through with your child at bedtime. It takes about 30 mins per night. It's a mixture of writing exercises and self hypnosis exercises. I also bought the CD. My son was dry immediately. I still can't quite believe it all worked out but I'm not going to question it. My son was 9 and a 1/2 at that point. I'm not saying this book will work for everyone and I would feel very bad if someone bought it on my say so and it didn't work for them,  but the talking exercises and visualisation exercises seemed to have worked for us. The book is very much about them taking control of their own body and I sold it to my son as a definite solution. He abs believed it and it worked.   We still run through the exercises at bedtime  a year and a half later. If you are desperate like I was, it may be worth a try. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.