Been feeling muscle twitches all over, what could it be?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys, I'm a 21 year old who's not very active physically. I've had muscle twitches on occassion like most people do over the years. However, the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing them in my arms, legs, stomach, back, neck, and face. Coincidentally, I have been enduring a great deal of health anxiety over what is believed to be acid reflux. My diet is terrible to be quite honest. I've done some reading online (which probably hasn't helped the anxiety) and have found that the cause can be anything from dehydration-ALS. Now of course I am worried about the worst case scenario. My father was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, so naturally, i fear that it is something more serious than the common causes of stress, anxiety, lack of vitamin intake, and dehydration. I brought it up to my PCP while doing a check up for the acid reflux. He checked the reflexes of both my arms by having me relax and he bent my arm back and forth. I asked if it was possibly due to the medication I was prescribed (ranitidine 150 mg) and he said he wasn't sure. The twitches don't last very long. Usually just a few contractions and then they stop only to come back anywhere from a few minutes to a coupe of hourIs later. I have an app in October with my PCP for a physical. In the meantime, I started on a magnesium supplement yesterday and am trying to drink more water (probably ctually only drink 2-3 bottles of water a day and some sort of caffinated drink during the day) Anyways, if anyone could add some input that would be awesome. I'm in desperte need of reassurance that I'm not dying. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adam, I could be flippant and tell you that we are all dying.....

I believe you have posted this on the wrong page - this is for Polymyalgia rhuematica - an autoimmune condition that strikes people mostly over the age of 50.....

Maybe try posting somewhere more relvant?

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Adam, probably FlipDover Aust is right and try posting on a different section - check them out. Just want to add that if your Dad had MS you need to be reassured by your doc that it is not that ... I am sure they are conscious of this anyway. Just two bits of advice .... DON'T scare yourself rigid by checking out your symptoms on the internet, as you will convince yourself you have some ghastly thing that you haven't. Talk to a professional instead. The second is clean up your act food and water-wise. I know it is hard (you are only 21) but cut out red meat, burgers and fries, eat loads of fresh veg and fruit and aim for a minimum of 1,500 mls of water at day, preferably 2,000mls. Oh, and get plenty of exercise in fresh air. Help yourself by looking after your body. Good luck and CHILL ... you are only 21. I suspect you are scaring yourself because of your Dad. This is meant to be the best bit of the journey for you and I am sure you are not going to die for a very long time. x

• Posted

My husband had similar symptoms and was diagnosed as a teenager with lack of calcium.  Another cause for your symptoms could be a magnesium deficiency.  Both of these are very easily fixed, and are a good thing for you to go to your doctor and ask about so you can get tested.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.