Been on Omeprazole 40mg for 1 week can I quit cold turkey?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am 19 doctor put me on Omeprazole 40mg a day for 21 days but I want to quit earlier.. Didn't realize the terrible rebound and side effects that could happen. I got on it because of acid reflux, palpitations, and chest tightness after eating. It worked but I'm feeling better now and I am just terrified if I get off of it it will become worse.. Would it be fine if I quit cold turkey and took tums/Pepcid for the issues? Or would I have to gradually wean off of it? I have only been taking it exactly for a week.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

40mgs is a big dose to be on. 21 days isn't very long to have taken it so you may be ok. Don't forget you probably feel better because you have been taking it. You should Sk yr doctor really but if you do come off make sure you have Gaviscon or something like that or even some herbally to take if you get some reflux. My advice is to do some research and try to do without it. I definitely wouldn't take 40mgs. I came off it after 1 years. Do have to take Gaviscon occasionally but on the whole am very pleased. Good luck

• Posted

I took it for about 3 weeks and it made me feel sick but i only had 20 mg and i stopped taking it after i realized that it was the medicine making me feel so bad. My stomach pain has come back but I'd rather have that then be sick from medicine but i feel so much better after i quit taking it besides the Stomach issues i had. I don't think it's a Good thing to take & Good luck!

• Posted

Ps: you should call your doctor an let them know what it is doing.
  • Posted

Did you take them eventually for 21 days or not? Side effects, your condition?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.