Been on omeprazole for 10 days

Posted , 5 users are following.

WEnt to the doctors with classic reflux symptoms and she put me on 20mg omeprazole one table twice a day.

The constant burning in my throat and chest has gone but some symptoms are still worrying me. Ive still got the bad acid taste and sore throat. Also getting a lot of mucus stuck in my throat. Also got this wierd sensation in my chest, its not painful more of a dull ache slight pressure.

Dont know whether to go back to the doctors or if I havent left the tablets enough time to work.

Some advice would be greatful

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, maybe you need an endoscopy to see what damage has been caused as it sounds like the acid has definitely made its mark. Don't worry yourself, they are all classic reflux signs that you are experiencing. I only suffered terribly with heartburn in my chest and throat, acid in mouth at times. I am on 30mg of lansoprazole for the foreseeable future, I have a sliding hiatus hernia which is causing my reflux. I have no symptoms at all after the medication, I have esophagitis at my lower esophagus also. Just have a read up on it as unfortunately the doctors tell you nothing. When I had my endoscopy they told me I have a hernia gave me a leaflet and sent me on my way

• Posted

Thanks for that I was worrying especially when it's your chest that hurts and I know anxiety makes it worse. Might still go back to docs before I start my new job wednesday

• Posted

Congratulations on your new job, the last thing you want is to be worrying going into it. If you're unsure then the doctor is the place you need to go for your own piece of mind. As the meds have helped but some symptoms remain it may be that you need a higher dosage or just need an endoscopy to see any damage. How long did you have the burning in your throat and chest before you started treatment?

• Posted

About three weeks on and off. It states when I was on holiday in America I put it down to different food, drink and a long flight but it carried on from then
    • Posted

Ah I see. I was getting bad bad heartburn etc around 15 times a day, I'd get it if I bent over or anything like that. This went on for about 7/8 months before I got it seen to and nearly a year before I was diagnosed with a hernia

• Posted

Just a couple of suggestions. Persist with the meds. Raise the head of your bed 8inches. Do some walking and core exercises. You may have LPR, see how the meds go and if not settling get a referral to a Gastroenterologist, who may do an endoscopic exam and possibly request a PH test.
  • Posted

You need to see a GI and get an endoscopy.  Do not take PPI's for long periods of times without having all details.   Sometimes the cause for the reflux is not to much acid, but instead is to little acid so you need to make sure.  The best test for this is a BH Bravo which is like an endoscopy.  Please, do not make the mistake to take these for months without knowing more. ;-)  For now just take it easy with the foods. You can google that for more details. ;-)  Finally, GI Doctors are getting on track because the same GI who once told me it takes at least 6 months of double dose to get results, is now saying 2 months should me more than good enough to know if is helping.

• Posted

Opsss, PH bravo. ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.