Been referred to Endocrinology due to high cortisol levels, what can I expect?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Well I'll start from the beginning. I have been feeling nauseous every day for the past four years - some days are better than others. Around October 2015 I suddenly put loads of weight on, from 10/11 stone to 14 (I'm 20 years old). I have bright purple stretch marks on my arms, stomach and legs, but my diet hadn't changed. I'm tired all of the time and out of breath.

I went to a new doctor a couple of weeks ago and he suspects that I might have Cushing's - when I looked it up I had the fright of my life! So he put me in for some blood tests (liver function, kidney function, cortisol levels and others that I can't remember haha) and most came back fine apart from my cortisol, which came back high. I had to call my GP for the results and all the lady said on the phone was that the doctor had referred me to Endocrinology, so I don't know what to expect! 

Any advice would be amazing smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily,  You will probably have to have some more tests just to confirmbut it certainly sounds like Cushings.  At least you are now on the way.  Your Endo will explain things to you.  Depending on where your benign tumour is, adrenal or Pituitary you will need an op to get rid of it.  Your body has been having too much Cortisol for a long time so after the op things will take a while to settle.  The weight will come off, some quite quickly, the rest slowly.  Let us know when you have seen the Endo.  Don't worry it will all be fine, just be patient.
    • Posted

Hi Vicky, 

Thank you for your reply. I'm now convinced that it's Cushing's after reading other people's comments in forums, and I've now received my referral letter but I don't know when my appt is yet, it can take up to another 10 days for them to tell me when my appointment is! I've not really seen anywhere that says that nausea is linked to the disease so I'm worried that there might be something else wrong with me too as my main symptom is nausea... every single day I feel like I'm going to throw up and I'm just so fed up of it cry 

I'll let you know how it goes smile hope you're having a good day!

• Posted

Hi,  So glad you are at least on the way now.  I must admit that nausea wasn't one of my symptoms but we are all different.  Remeber that the Pituitary or Adrenal Glands control all your hormones so it could have mucked up anything.  Keep smiling and do let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.