been referred to Luton and dunstable for bariatric surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have my first 2 appointments tomorrow obesity clinic and general surgery. Hoping for gastric bypass. How long have people waited from this appointment to surgery. I am type 2 diabetic poor control.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have been going to this hospital for one year and yesterday was given a date for surgery,

• Posted

Hi I was there Thursday. I was told I met all the criteria I did my tier 3 and maintained the weight loss. Only problem I got us trying to get my diebetes under control but they think op in spring

When is your op?

They are all so lovely.

• Posted

Really? Where did you do your tier 3 I was with morelufe and did as required list 5% bodyweight it was run by phycologist dieticians and a doctor's we had to learn new eating habits etc. Then referred to Luton for tier 4. My diabetes is bad so hopefully they stuck to their word the doc did say easter but easter early this year.lol

• Posted

I did it all at the L&D. I was refered by a GP and attended a year ago. I achieved the 5% early in the appointment process and was given a new way of eating program. They were happy with the results of this and so got me to see the surgeons at my last visit. They decided to skip the phycologist, as we both felt that there were not any real issues there. The surgeons gave me a date and had me sign the concent forms.
    • Posted

Hi nickki I'm just at ghost stage bit down hearted as I've got to see doc which is 9 weeks away then mdt etc does thus take long ???,

• Posted

Hi, my op is to take place on 21st Jan. It all feels very real now and very soon. I have been given the choice of three proceedures and feel that I will pick the gastric sleeve option.
    • Posted

I bet you are so excited I wish it all happened quicker I started tier 3 in June so by June I should be on my way to starring a new life. They think the bypass is for me as it can get rid of my diabetes.
    • Posted

Yes, I am excited and fearful all at the same time. I looked at the bypass options, but saw the sleeve was slightly less risky with the same success rate. The figures of death in surgery are 1 in 200 for the bypass and 1 in 500 for the sleeve. Dont worry, they will give you the green light when they are happy that you have jumped through all the hoops and that you are in the right frame of mind for it.
    • Posted

Hi nick

Cant wait to be where you are at present, my morelife experience was great it's actually run by phscologist and at different stages we had talks from dieticians it was really good I lost my 5% and changed my eating habits. I appeared on itv programme xxl Britain too. The doctor on Thursday has said I qualify for surgery forget the weight loss ( I cut my insulin down so I didn't put on weight as insulin acts as a steroid) increase my insulin get my blood levels down too dangerous at present to operate. So now on a mission.

• Posted

Dont worry it will come soon enough. It sounds as if you are well on the way now and as soon as they start offering you the three appointments in one afternoon, then you are very close to a date for surgery. Just stay positive and show to them that you have a good attitude to the whole thing and you will be fine.
    • Posted

Hi nick

Thanks so much for replying it's good to listen and have someone understand what we are going through. I am desparate for my life back 6 yrs ago I was diagnosed diebetes I have been battling ever since and gaining weight quickly too. I feel ill all the time joint aches and pains well you know all this can't wait to run around the park with my grandchildren rather than them tell me how brave I am having a needle!! I am 47 and feel 67!! Good luck with op keep in touch let me know how you get on.

Debx

• Posted

Hi Deb,

I know how tough it is and can only imagine how the diebetes compounds your problems. But the solution is not far from you know, as you are on the program. As long as you dont gain large amounts of weight and keep a positive attitude when you talk to them the surgery will quickly follow. Even after surgery it wont be easy, as you will have to get used to a whole new relationship with food, but it will be much better than what you have to endure right now.

• Posted

Hi there - I know this is an old discussion but wondered if anyone is still active?!

I'm now on tier 4 and am meeting with the consultant a week today.

How is life post surgery for anyone who has had it?

• Posted

Hi ya

I don't normally come on here now there is a fb page for l&d where all your questions will be answered we are all pre op or post op so know what you going through.

Your first appointment is with general surgeon and nurse who do all the preliminary checks BP,bloods, weight, etc and discuss the surgeries and give you all paperwork I am diabetic so this was discussed. The general surgeon then will assess if you meet the criteria for surgery. He then sends a report and will refer you on to the mdt or triple ( psychologist dietician and nurse) which is about 6 months wait. My first appointment was in Nov then triple was March. After this they get together and discuss what you need to do before they will refer you on (the panel) I had to get control of my bloods and lower hba1c. Then back to the nurse in may! I have now been referred further to surgeon and anethetice which is next Thurs so I will probably meet you at some point in the waiting room I met my new friends at my 1st. Anyway I will get my date for surgery next week . Eek. It's a long hard road but getting there. Find me on Fb debbie snelling. I can then get Julie to friend request you if you accept you will then be in our club. We all in same boat so great to ask questions support etc. If not good luck and hope I have helped. X

• Posted

Sorry meant to say luton and dunstable is where I am so don't know where you are but every hospital has different ways of doing things. If you not luton there is a fb page gastric op.x

• Posted

I'm L and D too! I'll have a look on Facebook now smile have had my MDT back in April...I'm hoping for a date on Thursday too!!

• Posted

I'm struggling to find you (apparently you have lots of namesakes!) or the group - if you have a minute could you search me out?! Michaela Dockerill smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.