Been to the gym

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 9 weeks post op on Friday and have been to the gym for the first time today, took it very, very easy, but felt OK. Am going to build up very slowly, but feels good to be back.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi diane. I went at around 6 weeks and it was far too early. Good for you that you are getting back into it. I am swimming in warm pool in Thailand right now. Doing bicycle leg movements in anticipation of my own return to the gym in a month. Keep it up!
  • Posted

Check out the Exercise section of my BIG post...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Complete instructions from my daughter who is a graduate nutritionist and an ACSM- and ACE-certified personal trainer for the last 16 years. PS: If you can get into a therapy pool too, that would be great.

• Posted

Chico,glad you mentioned this. Any chance you could ask her what she thinks about the punch bag or cross trainer? Or if anybody else has any thoughts?
    • Posted

Other than what I wrote about endurance first, then strength plus zero weight first and build slowly, she's pretty clear on:

1. Gotta work your core and abs,  Most of your strength comes from core exercises.

2. Do not ignore your upper body. Chest, shoulders, back and arms. One or two exercises each.  You don't have to use every machine in the gym.

3. Never work the same muscle groups two days in a row.  Have to give the body time to recover and rebuild from the previous workout.

4. Alternate legs/core with upper body.

5. Start with the machines instead of free weights.  The machines force your body into the form to do the exercises correctly.

In your terms, bag work is mostly upper body if you don't combine that with a lot of fast leg motions.  Most cross trainers I've seen are really ellipticals with added arm motion.  Kate says to warm up on a bike for 30-45 minutes and then stretch before you dive into your strength exercises.  Yes, you can substitute the elliptical for the bike to get the blood flowing to your legs.  The arm motions are just extra.

Hope this helps.

PS: Her American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) certification is the gold standard for trainers.  Took her two years and a lot of studying/exams to get it.  Along with her degree in nutrition and 15 ACE certifications, she's got the knowledge, skill and experience to help people.  She spent hours with me in a therapy pool instructing me on how to rehab my replaced hip in 2009.  Kid really knows her stuff.

• Posted

Way to go Diane. Sounds like you've got a great outlook on all this and sounds like you are tackling the gym in a very reasonable way.

• Posted

Thats good Diane,I went back around the same time,but only did the bike and Swimming. But good on you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.