bending after surgery

Posted , 19 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi

I had my posterior prolapse surgery Thursday. Home Friday. Saturday quite chipper. Today feel tired achy a bit like period ache. I have been a bit busy picking bits up off the floor. No heavy stuff is this doing too much?

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Honestly, leave it on the floor! The less you do, the faster you will heal. I honestly believe the hardest thing about this type of surgery is that you feel like you could be doing more than you should be doing! Then, when you push it too far, you pay for it. If I could do it all over again. I would litterally spend the first two weeks in bed watching TV... At 6 weeks I felt pretty good, but 8 weeks was really the  back to normal time. I am 4 months past it now and I am so happy I had the surgery. Don't rush it! You will have plenty of time to pick things up when you are healed. 
    • Posted

Hi Kirsty,

I think you are right, it is the hardest thing that you think you can do more. I went out on Saturday for a short time - two weeks post surgery and I was shattered. I am trying to rest as much as possible. When do those achy feelings eventually subside?

• Posted

Hi I am 20 weeks in paravaginal burch surgery. I still get swollen if I am on my feet for long periods of time.If you don't mind me asking have you experience this or has anyone else. I am concerned

• Posted

Might want to make a new post. This one is over a year old 😜

• Posted

I have had anterior and posterior vaginal lift and bladder prolapse back to normal.  After 7 weeks have had two bladder infections and if I am on my feet too long my urethra hurts.  I also lost the feeling of using my bladder for about three weeks.  I can feel it now but by that time its too late so doc told me to go every 3 hours but that means I wake up at night every three hours too lol  I am happy I had the op but this is a never ending story with this bladder and on top of all that whenever I break wind I get a stain.  Have decided to wear a thin liner at the back for these episodes.  I was not incontenant with my bowel beforehand.

• Posted

i am nine weeks after my anteria repair and if i walk too much i feel swollen down below and pressure feeling all my gp says need to rest do small walks back work next week hopefully it stops soon. i have stiches in too but all i was told they will go eventually even though they feel like ive got glass in there.

• Posted

I think tired and achy is your body telling you you've done too much! Rest more smile 
  • Posted

Hi,

I had the same surgery two weeks ago last Thursday. I too felt quite well on the Saturday. I did then get tonsillitis which knocked me back, however I went out on Saturday gone for the first time just for a short time and feel absolutely shattered. I too have the achy feeling which does seem to get better with rest. It's hard not to carry on doing the things you've previously done but all the replies on this site are saying rest and more rest. I was told by my surgeon to have 12 weeks off work so I suppose they are giving that advice for a reason. Hope you manage to rest and start to feel better.

• Posted

Hi, Thank you all for your replies

I will definately be leaving everything i have a large family, 6 children 4 still at home so i have plenty of them to ask for help :-) ..... bed and tv sounds good Kirsty03485 but alas no tv in my room.   

• Posted

Glad to hear you are feeling better.  I was the same. THEN... it hit me. STOP BENDING.  I read from another posting in this site that bending to get laundry from the washer was a no and I agree.  Any bending over catches up.  I am now shy of 5 weeks post op and still limit my bending to a min.  It catches up bc you feel like your bladder is sitting low.  REST REST REST
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

When you say it feels like your bladder is sitting low, do you mean the feeling of wanting to wee all the time. No sooner have I emptied my bladder and I feel like I need to go again. I had a catheter in overnight after surgery and packing but it feels like my bladder feels alomost bruised or on the large side. Fortunatley I have now been managing to open my bowels which is great, can't remember the last time i did this normally, so hopefully the surgery has worked. How long does it take until the feelings with the bladder subside. I am getting lots of rest and I'm trying to do as little as possible. I'm not even 3 weeks post op yet but just want to feel normal again down there.

• Posted

Hi Rhona, 

I am  4.5 weeks post op.  After surgery, I never haven a long flow. I always stop and then pee again.  The heavy feeling appeared 4 weeks and after laying around for a day and a half it went away.  I am learning to hold it a little longer and then I have a longer flow.  Actually today I went for an ultrasound and the tech told me my bladder is emptying properly.   That was a sigh of relief.  Keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply. I've never really had a long flow. I had a voiding study done on my bladder last year but was told the flow was a bit slow and I was retaining a small amount in my bladder after emptying. I only seem to have had these feelings of needing to wee more since my rectocele repair. I'm wondering whether it's because of the catheter after surgery as my urethra seems a bit enlarged. I've been trying to rest as much as possible but still seems pretty much the same.

I'm glad your ultrasound shows your bladder is emptying ok. I suppose we just have to be patient and hope with time it will feel better. At least I've been able to open my bowels. Let me know how you are getting on as you are a bit further on than me. Thanks

• Posted

Bending, like lifting is a big No No! So is 'busy'. Busy should mean having a shower then going for another lie down. The more rest you have in the first 12 weeks, the better your outcome will be. Good advice I saw on this forum was to live in pyjamas for the first 6 weeks. You get bored, but no-one starts thinking you're back to normal.
  • Posted

I couldnt agree more about resting, I made a mistake, Im now 12 days out of surgery, first two days home were fine, meds wore off on day 3 and horrible pain, I rested for 5 days, taking pain meds but then went back to work on day 8 after surgery, felt good first day, second day, half way thru I was exhausted and having constipation issue. I finally went after much discomfort but feel I might have damaged something because i am now back in so much pain, like back to day 4. Any BM is excruciating and Im talking something as tiny as a pinky nail. is anyone else having this issue?  I feel like my insides are raw as well as my anus. I just started prune juice this am as suggested by another on this site and that has made me have a small BM 3 times this a.m. but horrible pain, thank god I have the sink to rest my head on.  Im concerned because im hearing alot here say uncomfortable, i feel like im dying.  family tells me to call dr but there is no way im having my dr touch me now to see.
    • Posted

I think you should see a dr. I started taking lactulose as soon as i was home and so far so good also I am making sure i am drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day as sooo dont want to have this done again
    • Posted

I agree with Kristy re stool..I read that on here also.,I don't have a stool,but put my feet halfway up the vanity cupboard. It,changes the position and really helps,me a lot.
    • Posted

ah sweet mystery of life, I think I found you. Last night I got an urge to try a BM.  I went and sat there for a good 15 mins, usually dont give it that long, I took in a catalog to read to distract myself.  All of a sudden I felt pushing but it wasnt me doing it, it was moreso my colon reacting id guess.  Sure enough a normal BM, it felt sooo good,sorry to be so descriptive ladies but who else can i talk with.  I wanted to cheer and actually high fived my son when I got out.  I kept feeling a sort of lump down below and thought it was the rectocele surgery pain, it must have been this BM stuck in there.  I had a few boughts of gas off and on after that but I have to say I consider last night my best night ever.  Hoping this is is the start of a beautiful relationship. LOL. Thanks ladies.
    • Posted

Yay to you :-) i felt the same definately worth a high five celebration 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.