Bendrflumethiazide and Citalopram interaction

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

Is anyone on the above combination? I have been on both for several years and for months now I have been getting vague symptoms such as general aches and pains and more recently shortness of breath. I know that taking these together can cause low blood salt levels which can cause these symptoms. I have had a heart scan, 24 hr ECG, chest x Ray and bloods done a few months ago when I had a racing pulse and shortness of breath but the results were normal. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Thank y ou

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I guess that's a no lol
    • Posted

Hi Jayn, I know you wrote this about a year ago, and I don't know if you're still around, but I have recently been put on Bendro. After having horrific side effects on amlodipine and lisinipril (which I was on for years), I am now being told I need to go on other med's after a 2 year break from pills of any kind.

After 2 months, I thought the bendro was going to work, as I haven't really suffered anything I can't really cope with .........until now. The past 3 or 4 weeks I've started to suffer with headaches, aches and pains, especially in my back, left knee and shoulder, my eyes also feel heavy, like I can't seem to wake up properly all day, and also, breathlessness. This happens just walking about the house, or having a shower. I know it's not normal as I had it severely when on amlodipine but was told it was not the meds and sent for a chest X ray. Nothing shows up on any tests. I also had severe stomach problems and acid reflux, I was again told the same and sent for an endoscopy, nothing showed up so I was put on Omeprazole. Eventually, after 5 years on different meds, I was suffering so many ailments I could hardly function.

When I stopped all the meds, everything miraculously disappeared.  Now the stomach problems are starting to surface again. I have blood tests to keep an eye on what's happening but again, nothing is showing up in the results. It feels like the same thing is happening all over again and I'm sure the doctor thinks I'm exagerating or making it up. She also now wants to add something else to the mix as BP is still not acceptable to her. If you get to read this, can you tell me what your outcome was? Or if anyone else is experiencing the same, or has any info on Bendroflumethiazide, please let me know.

• Posted

Hi, yes I'm still around but problems still ongoing. I had and still have all of the symptoms you describe. Since my last post I started getting neck and shoulder pain, knee pain and following xrays and a visit to a rheumatologist was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. I began physiotherapy but it didn't help much, I started getting giddiness. I now also get tinnitus and headaches. Perhaps the symptoms I described in my first post were those of osteoarthritis, I don't know for sure. I am waiting for an ENT appointment. I am still on the meds I mentioned and take anadin extra for pain. I am aware that Anadin and citalopram could be responsible for my tinnitus.

I take bendro in the morning and I feel muggy and sometimes light headed for a couple of hours, but that could be my neck arthritis causing it. I forgot to take my bendro today and my symptoms were not as bad oddly enough. My reason for taking them now is that they help prevent migraines. I have tried to stop taking them but my migraines came back. I too tried blood pressure meds before the bendro but the side effects were coughing and ankle swelling. It was my pharmacist who suggested bendro. They can be a cause of gout so you have to have your bloods checked regularly for potassium levels. In the early years I had no problems with bendro, just later on. I believe that taking these tablets have something to do with the way that I feel, I wish I had chosen other methods to deal with my border line blood pressure. My mother takes bendro and meds for type 2 diabetes and she has aches and pains, dizziness, gastric reflux, but how can you tell which med is to blame? It's just a minefield and I wish I had never started taking any of them to be honest and concentrated more on diet and lifestyle instead. I'm sorry I've not been much help to you. I hope you find a solution soon. If you have any questions I will keep checking this post.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.