Bendroflumethiazide and Gout

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 49 and I've been on blood pressure tablets for years, Ramipril Amlodipine Bendroflumethiazide and doxazosin. I stopped taking the doxazosin after fainting episodes. Recently I was diagnosed with Gout through symptoms and blood tests. I had a course of colchicine but it didn't improve matters. My GP is thinking that the bendroflumethiazide may be the cause of my raised urates so I have been asked to stop taking the bendro and will have a blood test in 2 weeks to see if it lowers the urates. Tomorrow I will stop taking the Amlodipine because my ankles and legs have swollen already. I'm curious as to what alternative drug treatments there are if the bendro is the cause of the gout?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

To be on so many meds for your BP how high was it?
    • Posted

On all the meds it averaged 140/85, since coming off bendro and amlodopine it's gone up. This morning it was 180/107! Blood test on Friday to see if the urates have decreased and if so I wonder how my hypertension be managed?

• Posted

If you are in the UK ask or rather insist on being referred to a 'Hypertension Centre' There are not many of them and they are usually part of Kidney Units in major hospitals. They will do tests to see if there is an underlying reason as well.  

Google Hypertension centre and they should come up. 

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. My blood results showed my kidney function was 31.8%, after Colchicine treatment it raised to 63%. I see my GP Wednesday next week for more blood results, it's difficult to know what is causing what here!

• Posted

Sounds like a lot of  tablets.  I'm no Doctor but I've been aware bendroflumerside can cause gout.  I had it years ago causing gout still take a tablet to this day to stop a build up of Uris acid.  I take amodopine and my Doctor told me recently that it can cause swollen ankles.  I take two bp tablets candersten (think that's how you spell it) and amodlodipine. Saw my Doctor recently about amlodipine and he assured me it was a safe drug.

• Posted

I've just stopped Doaxazosin as I broke out in urticaria some 3 months ago, itching from head to foot 24 hours a day.  A skin biopsy showed a possible drug-related cause.  Have now doubled up on Losartan and crossing everything that the itch is on the wane.  I stopped Amlodipine a couple of years ago due to swollen ankles and legs leading to a diagnoses of varicose eczema.

?If the water pill is the cause of the gout then possibly the gout will disappear now that you're off that pill, in which case I doubt you will be prescribed any other water pills.  Good luck with the next blood test.

• Posted

No, Derek - I don't have the flu jab.  It started out of the blue for no apparent reason but I then became aware that I had been experiencing a few little bouts of itching on parts of the body from time to time since the beginning of 2016 - I started the Doxazosin the previous December.  A couple of consultants believed that the Losartan I am taking could be the cause but I have been taking that for 2 1/2 years.  The recently appointed resident pharmacist at my surgery (she's excellent from my experience with her over many years) believed that the instigation of the Doxazosin had triggered the reaction in the Losartan and we're just hoping that turning off the trigger will do the trick.  Time will tell but I've been able to go without the prescription anti-histamine for the last 5 nights, and so far no night-scratching and blood on the sheets!

?Relating to your question about the flu jab, but on a slightly different tack, we've just discovered that Merck, the manufacturers of the shingles jab (Zostavax), report that the their vaccine can exacerbate asthma, and can cause polymyalgia rheumatica in some people - I've been afflicted by the latter in the past so definitely won't be having the shingles vaccine any time in the future.  Anyway, I'm already aware that I am allergic to one of the ingredients it contains: Neomycin.  So a bit of useless information for you there!

• Posted

By the way, Derek, I changed my email address many months ago and have had difficulty sorting myself out on this site since, and therefore don't receive notifications of posts.  Please forgive me if you have not received a reply to anything you may have sent in the last six months or so.  I've just clicked on the 'New Notifications' line at the top of this page to find that you have sent a message following a reply to someone on this thread.

• Posted

It may not be due to the email change. I too stopped getting notifications some weeks ago and couldn't get in at all for a couple of weeks. Whatever the problem was, it seems to have been resolved now (hence my late reply).

• Posted

Thanks Lily - I can still get into the site with my old email address and password but I have notified the site of my new email address and since then am not getting notifications.  I obviously need to take some further action when I get some spare time.
    • Posted

Thanks Derek but I tried that and it won't accept my current password so can't change it to a new one and when I type in my new email address it tells me it already exists!

• Posted

How strange, I managed to change both of mine some time ago.

Is there an option to say that you have forgotten your password so that they will E-Mail you a link to change it.

If not shout... Moderator very loudly and he will hear you and reply. 

• Posted

Part of my problem was that all notifications started going to junk mail. No idea whether this was due to the recent change in Hotmail, though it only started happening some months later, or whether there was some minor change in how the site sends out notifications. Check your junk mail from time to time. I have to check mine often because whatever I try I just can't convince Hotmail they're not junk!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.