Benign Postural Vertigo

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with vertigo for the third time and i am only 25. The first and second experiences were caused by an infection in the inner ear. This time they say that it is benign postural vertigo, and that something in my neck is pressing on the nerves that stabilise my balance. I have been advised to see a massuse about my neck or an osteopath. I have also been prescribed 10 days of prochlorperazine tablets. I have never taken these before and hope that they give no side affects. Has anyone else been told its something to do with your posture? i work as a personal trainer so find this amusing!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am several years older and have suffered vertigo before which has cleared fairly fast.  My present attack started a fortnight ago and was initialy treated with Stematil (same as you) which controlled the nausea.  However I have just talked to my GP who diagnosed BPPV.  He  indicated that crystals had formed and these needed to be dislodged.  He said tablets are not the answer to my situation, but to try the exercises described.n Maybe this may help you. 
  • Posted

I too have vertigo this is no fun also doing balance excercises done epsey manuer still  feel really I'll  and swaying inside all the time also have tinnitus going on now for four years bummed out don't know if excercises are working or not should i feel like this they say keep it up 

• Posted

I started feeling weird 4 days ago on Sunday, walking funny, slight dizziness but when I woke up Monday morning I could tell something was wrong. I felt dizzy and could not walk straight at all, later on I developed nausea too. We went to the hospital in Watson Lake, the DR gave me antihistamine and gravol, which helped for the time being, had a good sleep in the car and wasn't feeling nausea much.It got worse the next day, I went to work, although I didn't feel well but shortly I visited the hospital here in Whitehorse again. The DR said after a good checkup, that cause must be an inner ear infection. She prescribed me a pill called betahistine which was supposed to help with the dizziness but it didn't help. Later on the nausea became unbearable and could not eat at all. When I was in bed not moving I was fine but as soon as I got up the world started spinning, this terrible dizziness and nausea came back and I felt even worse, so we visited the hospital again today. This DR gave me the diagnosis Benign postural vertigo and recommended the Epley's maneuver exercise until the symptoms are gone. It’s hard to do because it makes me feel even worse during the exercise but I’ll keep trying. This is a very uncomfortable condition that limits all life functions to close to nothing. Every movement makes me feel very dizzy and nauseous. I'm 48 yrs old, this is my first time and after some research I learned that it happens to most people after 40 and twice as much women than man. I can only pray and hope it will go away soon. :-(
    • Posted

Hi marianna - so sorry you are having such a dreadful time - I know exactly how it feels.  I found the best thing was to avoid any repetitive movements to one side - it's surprising how we can do this in our daily routine without realising it.  Also lots and lots of walking helped enormously as this rebalanced the crystals out of line in my ear.  Sleep with one pillow only and on the side which causes you the least problems.  My spinning was always in my left ear so I slept on my right side for a long time and still do in the main.  It took me a long time to get over it but I did.  The main thing that helped me was keeping out of the wind and draughts - I still put tissue in my ears when I go out as a precaution.  It's a horrible dreadful depressing condition that can ruin your quality of life - but have faith, it can be overcome.  What made mine a lot worse was sitting in a rocking chair!  You have to try and identify the cause and then avoid it at all costs.  I spent a fortune on a private consultation and I may as well have ripped up the money and used it as rabbit bedding!  As far as possible in this world I think self help is vital.  I do hope I have been able to help you.  All the Best, Karen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.