Benign Prostate Hypertrophy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am wondering; what does actually happen during benign prostate hypertrophy; do the cells change size, are they structurally different than normal prostate cells. Do they behave different to testosterone and DHT? What is it that drives the growth; do they understand it . The biochemistry of it ,I mean.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Mark,

As I've described elsewhere on this discussion site, BPH is caused by varicose prostatic veins (prostate veins with defective internal one way valves).  These varicose veins result in elevated venous blood pressure at the prostate which literally inflates or enlarges prostate cells; so prostates cells are larger than normal.  The varicose veins also allow testosterone rich blood to pool around the prostate.  Testosterone concentration levels can reach 100 times normal concentration levels.  This stimulates the prostate cells to rapidly multiple in number (called hyperplasia)......so more cells and bigger cells results in an enlarged prostate gland.

• Posted

I do not accept this statement 100 percent. Why would not younger guys get it than. Guys in their 40's. Statistically would younger guys also have the probability of defective valves . Something else is going on. The Goren Gat method ,yes , reduces hypertrophy; but it reduces blood supply period. Maybe something else is happening.I really do not know.
    • Posted

Guys in their 40s do have the first early signs of BPH, and ultrsound imaging verifies that the enlargement process has started.  Varicosity of veins is largely an age related thing with genetics paying a role in how sturdy your valves are.  Drs Gat and Goren have actually catherterized BPH patients and verified the high prostatic venous pressure and high testosterone levels.  It's not just a theory.

My BPH started in my 40s, although it wasn't formally diagnosed.  I had slight symptoms.  It continued gto progress.  I'm now 71 with a 300cc+ giant prostate.  I had a PAE in October 2015, and I've seen moderate improvement so far.

• Posted

I am 47 and I can tell you it does start in your 40's. I have a mild form oh BPH now. It isn't bad enough for me to get what they call treatment for it. I hope there are better methods coming as I hear about all the ways we can burn, cut, radiate and starve the gland bother me a lot. There has to be a better way. 
  • Posted

Hyperplasia is where the cell numbers increase, while Hypertrophy is where the cells increase in size. Some use the terms interchangeably.
  • Posted

mark23925:  Know your terminology.  Yes, it's sometimes called benign prostatic hyper[u]trophy[/u], but that is a misnomer.  If the cells truly were hypertrophic, then the size of the cells has enlarged.  Physiologic hypertrophy?  Think Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Pathologic hypertrophy?  Think about a guy with cardiomyopathy, whose left ventricle has enlarged. The prostate undergoes hyperplasia, where the number of cells increase.  Physiologic hyper[u]plasia[/u]?  Think about the shedding of the uterine lining in the menstrual cycle. Pathologic hyperplasia?  Think about the human prostate.  That is [u]not[/u] to say that BPH is precarcinogenic.  It isn't.  The more a cell differentiates, the more it's (almost) like its surrounding cells. That's actually a good thing.  If those cells didn't differentiate (mature) at all, therein lies the beginning of carcinogenesis.  On an unrelated note, if you or any of my other brothers in agony are overweight, knock it off, and your symptoms will remit ... at least somewhat.  Good luck, my friend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.