Best Foods for Type 2 Diabetes

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Can someone offer an opinion on the best fruits for t2 diabetics in terms of not causing spikes in blood sugar.  Also which bread, my husband eats wholemeal bread which I believe some say causes spikes.  I have read that rye and granary are better although he complains granary gets stuck in his dentures).  My local supermarket bake a wheat, spelt and rye bread which he likes, would this be ok.  Also yogurts he usually has low fat fruit yogurt, have read this is not good either.  Have been looking at recipes on Diabetes UK which seem interesting have saved some to try.  Things seemed to have changed a lot since my son was diagnosed with type 1 as a 2 year old way back in the 1970s.  Then it was all about portion size and making sure you got enough carbohydrate inbetween meal snacks as well.  I am ordered a blood sugar monitor which should arrive this week.  Hopefully it will tell us where he may be going wrong in terms of what to eat.  Before anyone says you can get them from the gp or manufacturer I tried that with no success.  Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

unfortunately everyones machine is different. I can not eat white rice or white bread. I can have potatoes and a reasonable amount of rye bread. (4 slices a week). There are guide lines that help determine what you SHOULD eat. Green leafy is always a good thing. As for what fruits when they are in season I have a Navel Orange before bed or red grapefruit. 

For me anything I put in the furnace (stomach) raises the blood sugar.  The question is how much. Once you figure out what makes the numbers go up then either avoid them or severely lower the quanity.

I generally stay away from yogurt in any form, cranks the BS for sure.  I have found processed food is the bane of my diabeties T2, insulin dependant. So I usually fix everything from scratch.  I use as a very general rule if there are more than 30 g of Carbs I do not purchase it.  My general rule works for me, your milage will vary.  Oddly a couple of pieces of Dark Chocolate in the evening does not hurt to bad. Everything I have given up it is good to know there is some reward food left. 

Lastly I have 3 days a year that I take the reading and do not care what they are as I eat everything in front of me. Thanksgiving, Christmas and my birthday.  When the doctor saw the spikes I reminded her of what days they were.  She said 3 days a year is just fine.

Free meters come and go. The trick is to find the lowest cost per sample for your test strips.  Just because the meter is inexpensive does not mean the strips will be.  I used One Touch (brand)for years, until the strips got to be $1.00 each.  Now I use Relion, the Walmart brand, 0.35 each. I test 3 times a day morning, before lunch and before dinner.

This board is in the UK and I am in Arizona. You might have to do a bit of converting to suit your location.

Write down the numbers and try to keep a schedule. It aint easy.  Last thing Big D changes, stress, sickness and just for the heck of it.

my stats

Big D for 15 years,  (metformin and glybride)

Insulin for 4 years (started at 40 ml a day now 200 ml, American units)

Seems to be under control for the last 12 months.

Good Luck paying attention is half the battle

Alan  65 times about the big yellow ball.

Tucson, Arizona

• Posted

I have always been told to eat in moderation, low fat foods are always high in sugar no matter what you eat. Whole meal bread is advised in the UK but not everyone can tolerate it, 

Bananas are high in carbohydrates and sugar are should be treated as a snack on its own, other fruits are ok. No fruits are low in sugar.

If your husband likes biscuits digestives, arrowroot or rich tea biscuits are ok but only 2 biscuits.

certain foods are known to have high glucose such as Chinese this can always be a treat meal, noodles and rice are fine. Try using a sugar substitute if you bake cakes your husband can then have a slice and not feel left out if others are eating it.

another food is would you believe fish and chips my blood sugar goes up with these so it's a treat, 

Ask your doctor if your husband could be referred to a dietitian and go with him, they can really help and put a prospective on things, he can live a very normal life without feeling it is the end of the world. 

I always have porridge for breakfast as its a slow release food, either a sandwich with fruit for lunch and a normal meal in the evening but a smaller portion with an occasional desert normally melon or pineapple.

All diabetics have different ways of maintaining their blood sugars as long as your husband is sensible with his diet he should be ok.

hope this is of some help.

• Posted

Personally I follow a low GI diet. (Low glycemic index) and there are lots of books about how to eat.  As regards fruits the berries are lower GI than others - in other words your body uses the sugars at a slower rate and give you less of a bs hit.  So strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc
  • Posted

Google Cucumber sugar

Cucomber is an excellent food as it contains 1,7g sugar.

Google Cauliflower sugar

1.9g

Google Lettuce sugar

0,8g

• Posted

Hi to everyone good enough to answer my post about best foods for type 2 Diabetes.  My husband has started testing his b s with his new meter.

After a meal of homemade lamb stew one small pototo and 2 clementines his blood sugar this morning before breafast ws 4.7.  He tested again around 90 mins after eating and it was 11.8.  I was sort of expecting this he had 3 slices of wholemeal toast olive spread and marmite.  Whilst Diabetes uk and the medical profession say eat wholemeal bread it seems from what I have read here that it can cause a spike in the reading.  I have ordered wwith my weekly shop some granary rolls and bread which I believe might be better.  A couple of questions do you think it is the amount of the type of bread that has caused this spike.  Also do you think different makes of bread vary where this is concerned.  We usually buy supermarket own wholemeal.

I have 2 loaves in the freezer to use up.  It is early days so am trying to help him see what foods are best.  At the moment neither of us are taking much exercise due to other health problems and we only do walking when  we can.  I know this does not help.

• Posted

3 slices of even whole meal is too much especially if you have no protein with it.  I have found that it is best to eat protein with carbs as it makes the carbs less quickly absorbed.  Try always having an egg or bacon for breakfast with just one slice of whole meal bread, it makes you feel more full for longer than just bread and don't believe the myth about eggs making your cholesterol rise.  My husband who does not have diabetes eats an egg a day with me and his cholesterol levels have gone way down.
    • Posted

Thanks  That was just what I wondered tomorrow he is going to have an poached or boiled egg with hopefully just one slice of bread but I expect he will say he is hungry and want two.  Still we are going in the right direction.

When he did the first b s test just before lunch yesterday it was over 11 so had not done my weekly so gave him grilled bacon and tomatoes with one slice and eve test was 6.5, this morning 4.7

• Posted

Tell him that yes he probably may feel a bit hungry because he has obviously been used to eating more but he needs to get real.  The reality is that if he doesn't get his eating and diabetes under control he will face huge often irreversible problems with his eyesight, kidneys etc.  He is not going to die if he feels a bit hungry - drink more water, tea or eat a few nuts or salad veg etc it is tough but his stomach will soon become accustomed to less.  Good luck and tell him to man up!!
  • Posted

You'll find as you go on which foods will affect his blood sugars and which will not, I only eat about 3rounds of white bread a week as I cannot tolerate wholemeal or granary breads, pitta bread is a good one eat if your husband can tolerate it, again I have no more than 2 pitta breads in a week.

Once he has regulated his blood sugars with your help he should be fine, it's hard when your still hungry, try filling him up with salads it might help. 

• Posted

Another thing for him to think about, because he can't be active due to other problems, he  shouldn't need to eat as much as he isn't as active, he shouldn't need any mid morning or afternoon snacks, this is because he isn't burning up any energy
  • Posted

Quinoa.

Look for a cook book that has this grain to be cook a variety of ways so you don't get bored with it. You can do like a "fried rice" dish but substitute quinoa instead of the white rice. I hope this works. 

• Posted

We should all be eating healthy balanced diets. Snacks are allowed but they should be healthy ones like a small handful of nuts, half a tea cake or similar scone type treat. Use low gi fats. No chocolate crisps etc. Yoghurt can be high in sugar but there are brands on the market with low sugar as well as low fat or you could always make your own with 0 o/o fat yoghurt and fresh fruit choosing low gi foods. Serving his meals on a smaller plate will trick him into thinking he has eaten more. Research low gi recipes. There are lots of books on the subject and plenty of diabetic cook books on the market. Good luck. You will get your head around it all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.