best medication for posterior blepharitis/MGD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I am currently on Doxycycline 100mg...on week 4. I went on this after being on Lymecycline for 2months and saw no change. Eye doctor has prescribed me should i wish to take it Azithromycin 500mg for 3 days alongside equivalent in eye drop x 3. Failing that i might get steroid eye drop so experiences on that would also be welcomed.

i am wondering if anyone on the forum here feedback pn their experiences? Was told i have posterior blepharitis only and dry eyes. I normally feel pain only in one eye. I can feel inflammation in left eye of fluid but never seem ro have loads to express yet still pretty persistent. I also feel v dry after hot compress and massage so thinking hot steam might be better.

i am back to feeling my left eye the whole time agai . i had reprieve of one week where i felt unaware of eye until evening which makes me think that eyes react to hormonal levels. I have no perimenosausal symptoms. I am 41...any other experiences and positive stories to tell.

justine

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Justine my Consultant prescribed me Azithromycin eye drops for 4 weeks.  Have done 3 lots of 4 weeks in the past year & at the moment, my eyes aren't too bad from that point of view.  Still very dry but no inflammation for the time being.  [I have chronic uveitis in one eye]

I use heat pads warm compresses & massage

I have to use a maintenance dose of one drop daily of Dexamethasone in my uveitis eye & also use cyclopentolate 1% drops in the same eye, which helps with the pain of the Iritis [uveitis]

Re steroids in ony form.  They have serious side effects & as a result of steroid eye drops I have had a cataract in the uveitis eye - dealt with in 1992.

I now have a cataract in the other eye because of oral steroids.

The other thing they can cause, is diabetes.

The rest of the list is endless, I am sure there is a section on Patient uk explaining the side effects in detail.

Good luck Justine.

• Posted

thank you so much..The doctor is x3 for 3 days so not the 4 weeks you were prescribed but to fo the eye drops x 3 also. Its a pain all of this..x
  • Posted

The best medication for posterier bleph is manuka honey....I am cured of my bleph as a result of using the honey.
    • Posted

Hi Dawn, it is good to know different things to try...out of interest how do you use it...where and how do you apply it...sounds sticky!!! So do you not get build up of myebomiam fluid at all now? Do you use this daily even when your under control?
    • Posted

Hi Justine,

Here is information on how I use Manuka honey.  It has to be Manuka and preferably the same brand I used since I know from experience it works.  If you think outside the box, you can probably get rid of this bleph.....smile

I bought Doctor's Manuka Honey #20 from Amazon.  I put it on  my upper and lower lash lids with Fran Wilson Nail Tees, also purchased on Amazon,  morning and night. I raise up my upper lashes and put the honey at the underneath roots and then smear it on the top lash roots like applying eyeliner. Then apply it to the roots of the lower lashes.  I leave it on my lashes for 15 minutes and then rub it in and open my eyes so the honey can get in my eyes.  It burns like fire for a few minutes and then the pain just stops. That burning is actually killing bacteria...so embrace it!!! Your eyes will get red....perfectly normal....they will clear.  My evening routine is to put it on at 10:30, allow the honey to go into the eyes and leave the honey residue on all night.   So, you should do the honey in the morning and at night for 5 or 6 months.  Then drop down to once per day.  I take two days off per week now.  You will know the schedule that works for you.

When I do my routine, I have ready a kleenex and a towel.  For some reason I want a towel covering my eyes while they burn to keep any light out.  Now, I am the BIGGEST baby and I don't even dread the pain...you really get used to it.  It is shocking at first but as your eyes improve, it is well worth it.  

I will continue to do honey once per day for the rest of my life since I have clogged meibomian glands that probably gave me bleph in the first place.  You should also plan on using this routine forever should it work for you. 

Ok....that is my advise....really hope you get relief......my studies have taught me that using the doctors medications only manage the problem at best and never get rid of many of the symptoms.  Also, consider the side effects of the medications given....honey has no side effects.

I wish you the very best,

Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn, this is really interesting and I have started to follow your guide with Manuka honey. I do have a question please. If I put the honey on at night I find I wake up with very red swollen eyes. I don't seem to get this if I put honey on in the morning. Did you have anything like this at all?

Sami

• Posted

Hi Sami,

No, I did not have that....the honey must be too strong for your skin to leave it on a long period of time.  So just do your honey routine morning and night and after 15 minutes wash all the honey off and see how you do.  Not leaving the honey on all night is not a deal breaker for your healing.....just keep going!!

Dawn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.