Best Meds For Hypothyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I am a 28 year old male with no family history of underactive thyroid.

I was started on LevoThyroxine Sodium (Eltroxin) about 2 years ago and I have piled on about 7 stone (44.5kgs/98lbs) and my body is ruined with LOADS of stretch marks!

I have read a lot about people gaining weight from their hypo meds and this has to be what's causing mine.

I admit that my diet is not good and I should exercise more, but c'mon... 98lbs!

I can litterally feel my skin stretching at times!

I am on alternating 100mcg and 125mcg's every other day which I thought was a lot...

I have heard others saying they were on anywhere from 25 to 100mcgs each day but the docs told me my thyroid is kinda producing some hormone.

I need to change my meds and not just eat cleaner and exercise more.

I have not changed my eating and exercising habits much from what it was prior to my thyroid packing it in and the docs say my levels are being managed well...

I feel depressed and am disgusted with my body!

I look like a woman who blew up during pregnancy... my stomach is ruined!!

Please help sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nowler, yup, thus medication doesn't work. In addition to not treating the hypothyroid symptoms, it causes autoimmune disease, and a myriad of other side effects. You like I did, wound up with double the problems. I tried this for 2.5 years and it didn't work at any dose. I finally went to a non prescription organic dessicated bovine and feel tons better. I encourage you to find a solution that works, bc this medication doesn't.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the replies!

MtViewCatherine, can you explain a little more about what you mean by "non prescription organic dessicated bovine" please.

I am desperate to try anything!

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Nowler, I sent you a PM. Feel free to contact me with any specific questions.
  • Posted

Nowler I to have packed on pounds and had med. Problems. This does depress you terribly. I had to go on a no processed food diet and it's hard but can be done. Dirt drinks make you hungry, therefore you eat more and defeat the purpose. I had to go through several doctors too find one that actually knows enough about the thyroid to help me. The testing you need and medicine to take makes a difference. Perhaps asking around your community, friends, and relatives you may find a good doctor. I read a lot of different materials, so I could tell if the doctor knew enough to really help me. I truly want you to feel better and hope you find help soon.

• Posted

I  had  my  Thyroid removed  4 months ago  due  to  Graves Disease  !  I have  put on  56 lbs since  I  have  been  on  the  meds !  Not  happy  !  But  I try  very  hard  not  to play into  the  anger  !  My  numbers  are  still  going  up  my  doctor  says  can  only  bump  it  up  to  next  stregnth only  1  time  a  month  she  said  gonna  be  a long  slow  process  to  bring  my  numbers  down  !   MtViewCathrine  what is  the  name  cand  the  company  who  makes  what  you  take  ?
  • Posted

Hello Nowler:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Thyroid disease can be a hereditary condition and can skip a generation or so.  It tends to hit women more than men,  It can hit at ages 20 to 45 and even late in life.

They have many meds on the market for this but in the UK only a few are available.  Some ones also made are Armour Thyroid  -pig's thyroid gland, Bovine Thyroid from a Cow, and man made Thyrolar a T3/T4 combo. 

Cytomel - Liothyronine,  is avail in UK and is T3 alone and helps balance Levo out.  You need to ask your doctor about it.

The body takes a while to adjust to a new med and dose and can take up to 6 weeks to see a new level.  All thyroid meds need to be taken without food.  Food blocks the med.

As to weight:  the hormone replaces what we need but nothing extra,  and we also need to watch carbs and limit that to no more than 65 grams of it per meal.  Avoid gluten and heavy dairy.  Walk some, I lost 32 pounds doing that.  Do what you can to watch portion size and some exercise.

The thyroid helps to control our metabolism and our burning of calories so we can put weight on in a nano second.

Any questions, just ask.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.