best pain relief

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed by ultrasound with multiple gallstones 6mths ago. Decided on referal 3 1/2mths gone and not heard a thing till after a really bad attack last night, I rung hospital today. Apparently they somehow put thier letter to me inside my file instead of sending it to me !. Thats our wonderful NHS for you. anyway I've got appt to see consultant in two weeks and I'm shaking with nerves at the propect of surgery.

Meanwhile I see from some posts that Codeine is not a good analgesic for gallbladder pain. As i have taken Co-codamol with varying effect, can anyone advse what drug is best.

Thank you.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you want almost total pain relief then what you need is Dicycloverine, Paracetamol and Tramadol, you'll need to see your GP to get these smile
  • Posted

Tramadol worked for me - quite strong i only needed one and depending on the pain i would take with one paracetomol. Also didnt make me vomit or ill like codeine had done in past.

good luck fr op & hope you not suffering for too long before op date.

• Posted

If you can't see a Doctor then Kolanticon Gel can help, yes you can buy it, it tastes vile :D
  • Posted

Hi. I've finally had my pre op assesment and they find my B/P is up which I've had before. So i'm keeping a track of it over the next week. I've got to let the pre op nurse know if it stays up. If it does I suppose I'll have to see my GP to try and sort it coz they say the op will be in 6-8 wks but it wont be done if my B/P is high. I'm just dreading something happening to delay the op. My life is being controlled round possible pain at the momment.

Oh the quicker this is over the better.

• Posted

How high was / is your BP? smile
  • Posted

It was 178/94 at the pre op. At home the same day it went down to 140/89 which I let them know. Over the time since, it seems to be averaging around 156/90. I've stopped all added salt, caffeine etc. I walk for an hour a day anyway, so I can't think what else I can do. I know I've got myself in a real tiz about having this op, I've even started to wheeze again which I haven't done for a very very long time.
  • Posted

Your BP can get moderately high, if it didn't improve a cautious GP might consider putting you on medication. This lower average reading is more borderline so I personally think you'll be OK. You'll have to wait and see what the letter says smile It'll be a quick in, hit by a bus, then out,, then a happy life forever after :D
  • Posted

Well i'm still waiting for my op, nearly 8 months since referal. I've now learnt that the 18wk period from referal to treatment has been scrapped by this present goverment, leaving people like myself coping with recurrent servere pain attacks. I can't get any approximate time from the hospital when it'll be done. Meanwhile I can't make plans coz I never know when a colic attack is going to happen. Thats our crumbling n h s for you.
  • Posted

When needs must one must elbow oneself up the list. If you aren't being an A&E frequent flyer then it can't be that bad, understand what I'm saying? wink Otherwise your condition is viewed as stable and you could be left hanging on for months or even years longer :?
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've suffered these attacks on my own, without calling ambulance coz I knew what the cause was and thought pain may have stopped by the time it got to me. But I take your point re A&E. I've just retired after 40yrs working for the n h s and am ashamed of what it has become under this goverment. If im lucky enough to get called in June it'll be 4 1/2 mths since the pre op. Where's the sense in that.
  • Posted

Using an ambulance might be overkill but staggering into A&E suffering from unmanageable pain is a sure fire way to push you up the list, infact depending on how the Doctors are feeling (and depending on the interpretation of a new x-ray and or ultrasound etc) it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you can get sorted out within days, it all boils down to whether your condition is acute or subacute. You've paid for the NHS why should your contribution only be used to help dangerous car drivers and waste of space chav spawn with beads stuck up their noses,, not to mention the endless tide of self inflicted drunk injuries etc? :roll:
  • Posted

I agree using an ambulance is a bit o t t but I live on my own so wouldn't be able to drive during an attack. Could get taxi I suppose tho i'd have to be sure I wasn't going to upchuck on the way. Also the nearest A&E proper is nearly an hour away, great eh ! I'm just so fed up eating like a sparrow, I want my life back. If I knew I would be called at some time I wouldn't feel so bad, but I've heard about the list pct's are saving money by stopping certain op's gallstones being one of them.
  • Posted

What dietary advice have you been given? You need stick to a low fat diet you know? Something I've found to be a life saver is a drink called Nutrament, yes it's really nice and 2 or 3 cans spread out through the day (along with a few sources of fiber, say a few bananas and a bowl of bran cereal) can really keep you going smile

If everything you eat is causing you pain then that's not right and you should explain this to your GP (who can then write to the hospital asking WTF they are playing at). Maybe some strong antibiotics would help (frankly you could have puss and gloop in there,, I think Co-amoxiclav might help). How much weight have you lost anyway? 10s of kg? Rapid weight loss isn't good for you at all :?

What's your pain relief situation? Considered taking more? These prescriptions can be quite conservative. In my time I've taken tons and tons and it hasn't harmed me yet, well to be precise I've had a fair few 'sweaty whiteners' on the opiates but no permanent harm has been caused :D

• Posted

Hi.

Yipee. I've finally got an op date, 13th June. Although I'm scared stiff, I know it has to be done. It's not the actual op that terrifys me but something going wrong. Still what will be will be. I just have to have swabs repeated coz my pre op is now out of date.

Wish me luck

• Posted

Yay that's great news! :D Don't worry about anything going wrong, it's just like they're picking a big plum, just make sure you can arrange a lift home for afterwards because you'll feel like you've been hit by a bus :lol: Good luck with it :ok:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.