Best way to keep dressing dry

Posted , 18 users are following.

Ok, I need your fab tips on how I can shower but keep the dressing dry

We tried cling film tonight and that kind of worked but wondered if someone had worked out a genius idea (apart from not showering)

Thanks xxxx

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The dressing I had was showerproof, was told not too shower for very long, and it was fine
  • Posted

Mine too was shower proof and was fine for the two weeks it was on.
  • Posted

mine was also showerproof. I had a spare to take home with me

Perhaps you could get one from a chemist??

carol😄 X

• Posted

Yes, mine was showerproof- I am sure that if you asked at the local pharmacy they should be able to get one for you. I was given a spare dressing, it is called 'Leukomed T Plus, transparent wound dressing with absorbant pad. you take off the see through top layer to reveal the sticky side, place the dressing on carefullu making sure there is a firm seal without any bubbles, then you take off the top layer to reveal the waterproof layer. Hope that makes sense. I have had 4 showers and its still in tact. 
  • Posted

I showered from day 1 as had waterproof dressing. You need to get one with a 'film' in. Most have a gauze pad and a waterproof dressing. In hospital (I am a nurse) we use a plastic bin bag and Adhesive tape on the edges to cover non waterproof things. I changed it weekly and left it open from week 3 after the surgeon reviewed me. 

Good luck in in your quest !!

• Posted

I had like a clinging dressing but I didn't shower until I had the staples out
  • Posted

I haven't had my op Yet but thought opsite or something similar over Ur original dressing would be good enough to be waterproof. That's what I used after my last surgery 11 years ago. U can buy it in Ur local pharmacy
  • Posted

I haven't had my op Yet but thought opsite or something similar over Ur original dressing would be good enough to be waterproof. That's what I used after my last surgery 11 years ago. U can buy it in Ur local pharmacy
  • Posted

I took the no showering route of strip washes - had to as my shower is in the bath!
  • Posted

My husband covered my dressing with a 1 1/2 foot by 1 foot piece of doubled tin foil and then taped it down with parcel tape or something similar - Sellotape no good.  The Inshowered with him passing me things through the door so ai didn't have to twist and stretch and I also tried to have the sorry goin on my other side.  That worked - although aim glad the postman didn't come - he might have carried me off for delivery! All I needed was a first class stamp!!
    • Posted

!!!!!!  The shower going not the sorry goin!!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, 

I also took the no-shower route until staples were removed as I was told ...

good tips here though !!!

I am sure they are helpul and you are clean as a whistle !!!

warm hug

renee

• Posted

The staff at hospital gave me several to take home so I showered as normal, with my shower proof dressing and then changed it afterwards. I showered very other day from about day 6.  They didn't shower me in hospital and I found hair washing in sink almost impossible so I was desperate !! 
  • Posted

I was told no shower until staples out. So stripped washes until day 14, clips out then really enjoyed a lovely shower. X
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I was glued and had a shower proof dressing on and also brought spares home with me.

The first shower was lovely after the wet wipe washes!

Anna x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.