Best ways to keep area dry

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed a few years ago after suffering since puberty in silence with no idea what was wrong with me. My LS is managed with a steroid and I've found pretty good success with it. However I've found the most success when I keep my pubic area dry and use the steroid. In fact I very often wear a tampon at all times when I realized that I get the most relief during my period. I know constantly wearing a tampon cannot be healthy so wondering if there are any recommendations to help keep my area dry? Also wondering is it a problem with my skin or a problem in the discharge coming into contact with my skin and causing the irritation?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I use hair dryer on low heat after I spray with spring water after urinating. I also use hair dryer after I shower.what steroid do you use?
  • Posted

My best result is after every bathroom visit rinsing the area off with luke warm water in which I have three pinches of borax dissolved.  With that no other care is needed during the day. 

​In the evening before bed I use a bit of coconut oil to keep all smooth and keep the layers seperate.

• Posted

At the moment I don't.  There is no need.  I just keep all calm with borax baths and rinses.  I slowly phased it out. 

• Posted

That's encouraging! What rinsed? Are you new to the borax treatment?I haven't tried yet. No burning with it?Has it controlled itching?Do you use any oils for moisturizing?Thanks Hanny

• Posted

I started out with baking soda baths and also rinsing with water in which three pinches of baking soda dissolved.  But the last part was stubborn.  Then people on this forum started to experiment with borax.  Instead of baking soda I switched to borax, but kept doing it as with the baking soda. Only I changed the amount in the bath. A third of a cup in the bath for borax was too much, I noticed, so I started to use 1/6 of a cup in the bath and that worked better.  The rinses after every bathroom visit are still three pinches, shaking well to dissolve the borax. 

​The area around the clitoris was the most difficult and stubborn as I mentioned before.  But the vulva looks a nice pink red and no white left, only higher up at the edges, but almost not worth mentioning.

​I still moisturize with coconut oil in the evening and when I go sporting/cross country skiing. 

• Posted

Thanks so much, Hanny. I have not tried borax yet. Have been worried that it might burn.I tried baking soda in the beginning but it burned. I use spring water in a spray bottle after urinating.I have never tried steroid ointment at all. I was wondering if you ever did?I am always uncomfortable with rawness and itching. I am.worried about the inflammation and wonder if I am going to get cancer, because of not treating inflammation. Thinking about steroids now and borax.
    • Posted

We are all different of course, so what works for one may not work for another. 

?My gyno prescribed clobetasol when LS was first diagnosed after a biopsy.  That worked in the beginning, but later I felt it did not work so well.   By accident I started to use baking soda, since I was afraid of infection.  It did much more than preventing infection - it made the white layer disappear, at first almost unnoticeable.  At first I used emu oil for much needed comfort, later changed that to coconut oil.  Gradually using less and less of the clobetasol. (steroid) 

?Regular baking soda baths ( 1/3 cup) became my routine, next to rinses after every bathroom visit.  It was a long road of discomfort.  But as things improved I soon forgot.  As long as I keep doing what I'm doing - at present the use of borax and coconut oil.  Seldom any itch.   

?Do you check down there by taking pictures at all?  Because improvement often goes so slow that it is hard to see whether anything changed or not. 

?As far as the use of borax - try mixing in the smallest amount in some luke warm water and see what happens.   

• Posted

Perhaps I also should mention that 'the reverse' feels the same as increase of affected skin by LS.  At first it feels as if matters get worse instead of better.

?Instead of baking soda or borax you can also try whether epsom salt makes a difference.

• Posted

I use epsom salt now.  Think I will try the borax and see what happens.  Wher do you buy coconut oil..Is it a special kind that I should get at a health foods store?
    • Posted

Health food stores should carry it.  But some super markets have it too.  It says organic, but how do you prove it.  Main thing is that it works for you. I buy whatever is the best price.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.