beta 1-3, 1-6 glucans anyone?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Have just seen an ad for this stuff from the trustworthy company where I get another supplement on-line. Although these substances are produced by yeasts and other fungal organisms, they're being touted as being useful for killing off the "wrong" kinds of yeast - e.g. candida - among various other miracle claims.

Now, I've been plagued by various candida manifestations all my adult life, and suspect this might be at the root of all my auto-immune problems, so I'm ready to jump at any chance to kill my unwelcome guests. However, as some of you in these forums may recall, my last attempt at doing this (with a powerful probiotic product recommended by my GP) ended in near-disaster, with a massive flare-up of my Sjogren's and even some transient but very worrying mental symptoms. I don't want to make the same mistake again, especially now, when the flare-up is just starting to die down!

So... has anyone had any experience with these beta glucan products?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've never heard of them but have some experience with candida.

When I was first plagued by it I took Amphotericin-B and it worked wonders!

No doctor would prescribe it to me so I had it prepared by a pharmacist in Canada.

• Posted

Thanks Shira. I only took an oral anti-fungal - fluconazole both times. It too worked wonders, I even got beautiful big-toenails for the first time in years! I think I only had a short course the first time round, about 15 years ago, but when I took it again my doctor told me to start on a low dose for two weeks, then the full dose for another month. But it didn't make a bit of difference. Both times I took it the candida came back within a year.

I'm now considering whether I might risk a return match with the probiotic on condition my doctor put me on a six-week course of fluconazole immediately beforehand. The Sjogrens flare-up provoked by the probiotic is starting to subside, but I'm still being plagued by terrible constipation (first time in 40 years) so I think I'll hold off doing anything about the candida for the time being!

How's your swollen eyelid doing, btw?

• Posted

I've heard of a homeopathic remedy for candida called "Candida Mix" which they claim gets rid of it completely, but I've never tried it.

Thanks for asking about my eyelid. So far the only thing that help is Clarinase for some reason, but I can't take it daily because:

1- you're not allowed to take this medication over 10 days in a row

2- It causes me severe dry mouth

So again I'm at a loss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.