Betablockers

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I've posted before .I 've been on 2.5bendoflumethazide and 2x25 mg atenolol for years .My BP has gone a bit haywire and after trying felodopine which was good for BP awful for bladder ,I am now to take an extra 25 mg atenolol .I'm coonfused as GP was always saying it was an old drug.I am 69 and thought it wasn't great to increase at my age and with other health problems .My Bp is very much anxiety related ,Can't heelp feeling Gp just took easy route  .Any thoughts ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi My oponion stay on 2.5 bendoflumethazide. other tablet increase  extra 25 mg is an awful lot more please check with doctor. Chemists are more qualified than doctors about tablets speak to a chemist tell them why/what you are taking.
    • Posted

Thanks David .Don't think I have a lot of choice and GP never goes against doctor Liz
  • Posted

Have posted before..I've got AF and I'm 69. I've been on bisoprolol and rampril. The side effects have been so bad. I put up with being unable to think clearly,always tired,thinning hair,weight gain,blurred vision,lower back pain,heaviness in legs,cold feet and hands. I suffered these for 3+ years and eventually got  my GP to change the meds . I was then put on 50 mg atenolol, upped to 100 Mg! I still had the bad side effects. My BP was much the same,so I asked my new GP to reduce the dose to 50.

still unable to stand or walk any distance,I asked to reduce the atenolol to 25. I've been on this dose since dec 30 th with a huge improvement. Bp is about the same...head much clearer,I can walk! No nightmares...lots of improvement...well until this week! I've had dizzy spells,head is fuzzy and adrenaline spikes and I feel a little nervy! I wanted to post on here to find out if I'm having withdrawal symptoms? 

The info on the internet, agrees with what you have written...atenolol..is an old med and not the one to be used in the first instance for HBP! Also it takes ages to get the body to manage without it! I'm so fed up,but my BP is much the same as is HR, so I think I will have to tough it out. 

I hate not having a GP who I can talk to and having to take medical decisions on my own! I see you have trouble in N I, well it's the same for me here. 

I hope that you're feeling ok,and that I've not worried you by my post. Maybe others who have stopped taking atenolol or other beta blocker will reply to my post. I hope so!

effects

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your meds.I don't know if you get withdrawal symptons with atenolol.I'm on week 2 of my uppped dose of 75mg a day plus the bendro.So far I feel fine .I'm no longer worried that it is an old drug .Old is not necessarily bad . BP after hospital,2walks and a supermarket shop was 154/78 with my monitor so I'm happy .The American guideline for over 60's is 150/90 before meds considered . Hope someone is able to advise you .Can you not speak to chemist? Take care Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz

I take 10 mg ramapril and 2.5 my bendoflumethazide. I was on atenolol gp took me off this med.  Bendoflumethazide reduced the swelling in my legs/ankles with in 3 days. I have GREAT GP. Ramapril is a hypertension tablet.

All the best keep posting

• Posted

i was on this  the same as you   at  xmas my bp  plumeted  so they stopped them   now 5 months on its back they have put on a new drug bisoprolol  which  is awful  so im going to ask my gp   to put  me back on my original meds 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.