Betahistine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Got my first betahistine pills 8mg not easy jere in the states what is everyone experience how long does it take to have an effect and does it help with the dizziness and diggin ess or just the full on vertigo?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey i live in toronto canada and i was diagnosed about 4 months ago. I am 25. The betahistine didnt help me at first i was taking one pill 24mg twice a day but when my doctor increased it to 48mg twice a day a week ago i havent had an attack since. So i think its safe to say it can help prevent the vertigo and i find it helps with the pressure in my ear...the tinnitus jad been noisier however i do have a hearing aid that helps drown it out....i hope the pills can work as well for u as they have been for me.
    • Posted

Hearijg aid I was wondering about tjst I have sensitivity to loud sounds did you have that? What kind of aid did you get and doesnitnhelp dizziness and vertigo or just vertigo
    • Posted

My hearing loss is like low tone sounds so with the hearing aid it amplifies certain noises esp like the heater in the car and such which is annoying but i teach highschool so i can actually hear my male students lol it doesnt really help with the vertigo its mostly for the hearing but i do find it helps keep me better balanced which i think is better less likely to cause an attack...
    • Posted

Mine is same low is gone no I meant tie betahistije once it started working does it help dizziness and vertigo? And I have heard tjst a hearing aid helps balance otherwise the brain only heard sound from one side and doesn't process properly and gets confused

• Posted

Ive found with the increased dose that the betahistine has helped. Ive been on 96mg a day now for one week and i havent had an attack since i increased the dose so it worked very quickly for me im praying that it continues to work
    • Posted

Hi, I am on 16mg of Betahistine 3 times a day. It takes a month to kick in. I find it very good though I think to fully cope with my vertigo I need to up my dose. Waiting for ent dr appointment to see what he will say to that. S
  • Posted

How were you able to get betahistine in the US? I thought it wasn't sold here?

• Posted

Certain few pharmacies will make it anotjer option is if you ent give you a prescription you can get it from Canada I've heard wonderful things about it. Check around I didn't think you could either but I did

• Posted

Good to know. Thanks! I'll ask my doctor about getting a prescription.

• Posted

I've tried Betahistine twice.  Once in France where I was living when I was first diagnosed  and then again in the Uk when I returned here and they wanted to sort my medications for me.  Both times it just didn't work.  It's a histamine and now I'm on an antihistamine and that does work.  I asked my doctor why two meds that sound exact opposites might be used for the same illness and she said some people need histamines and some antihistamines.  Although I must tell you that my husband also has MD and years ago his doctor told him betahistine was just a placebo.....

• Posted

The dose of betahistine is crucial. First it takes about 4 weeks to reach full effectiveness. Second I was started on 16mg tds which seemed to help with some reversal of hearing loss and reduction in tinnitus to a tolerably low level but it did not prevent acute attacks. When I eventually got to the Auralphysiology consultant he tripled the dose to 48mg tds. No more attacks and after 6 months I was able to wean off the drug. In total I had 21 months of remission. Then I got the warning signs - ear fullness, increase in tinnitus, transient dizzy attacks - so went straight back on 48mg tds as before which I have since increased to 64mg and am again stable.

Have you had MRI scans etc to rule out other causes?

Good luck.

• Posted

yes have had MRI few years ago have had this for 3-4 years...was fine other than tinnitus and hearing being bad in one ear until 9 months ago or so started getting a bit dizzy then vertigo then it would go away...now when i get the vertigo it seems the dizzy stays for a month or so , so i opted to get the injections and get on betahistine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.