Bicep tendonesis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had a nagging, deep pain in my bicep for almost three years. After surgery on my neck it disappeared then returned with a vengeance after a plane journey.  I've now seen a shoulder surgeon who did and injection (which nearly killed me!) and as a result he thinks I need a bicep tendonesis. He tells me it won't be an easy recovery and that it might not work. Has anyone had this surgery? My main concern is that he might be treating the wrong thing as nothing is showing up on the scans (no tear for example). I just need to get rid of this constant pain which is made much worse by travelling (jolting around) and typing etc.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, had a Tenodesis in 2011 and the recovery was ok. It was part of a bigger operation.

Anyway, make sure you get a tenodesis, not a tenotomy, which is where they simply cut the long head of the biceps and let it bunch up in your am - know as popeye bicep. Tenodesis is where they reattach it.

As your surgeon what technique he uses? E.g. does he use an interference screw or an anchor? Will he also look at other parts of the shoulder e.g. rotator cuff and labrum to see if there are issues elsewhere?

Best of luck

• Posted

That's really helpful. Thank you. DId you have the sort of pain I am describing? I'm not an athlete or sporty person so don't really know why this has happened. I'm convinced it is to do with my neck.  How long did the recovery take? Yes, hes said it would be a tendonesis.
    • Posted

My pain was complex as I had a traumatic dislocation. I had pain in the bicep though toward the shoulder.

Some people say you get tightening and spasms after the surgery but they resolve. I would say the tenodesis was the least of my worries really and I'd forgotten about it within 6 months .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.