Big problem with dry, cracked lips.

Posted , 5 users are following.

diagnosed a few months ago. Usual symptoms of dry eyes, skin, some neuropathy. Now on plaqinel which is helping but I can't control very dry lips to the point where they are cracked in the corners. Not very much relief at all with various lip balms.  Please, any suggestions are welcome. Help!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phyllis, I have had SS and very dry lips, cracked corners for 30+ years. For 26 years treated the cracks as extreme dryness and with lip creams. Then 4 years ago a dental surgeon said :"I  see you have some thrush". What????? Now i treat outbreaks with Daktarin (for athlete's foot). This is the name in Australia. Magic! I guess it was fungal all along, although i never see any evidence of anything other than a split. Between outbreaks I still keep my lips as moist as possible with lip balms. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you sooo much! I will definitely try an athletes foot cream on the cracked sides of my mouth, do you think it's thrush on the whole lips or just in the corners???

• Posted

I think just in the corners, but i dont know for sure. The rest of my lips are only dry, they are never cracked. My advice is to get the overall dryness better with good lip creams (I apply heavily for overnight and lighter during the day) and then just treat any cracks with the stronger cream. You will work out your regime and preferred lubricants with time and experimentation.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, of course - I get it now! I wish I'd figured that out more than 20 years ago when I was suffering from those awful, painful cracks at both corners of my mouth. That really was one of the worst phases of SS for me. I've had repeated fungal infections all over my body all my adult life which I'm convinced are related to SS. In the end, the problem cleared up spontaneously after 6 months or so, and these days I always have Daktakort to hand (prescribed by my GP for assorted other fungal infections) so at least if this problem ever comes back, I'll know what to do.

A big thank-you for this info. I've mentioned the cracks several times on these boards, and have always been convinced they were SS related, but you and Phyllis are the first ones to mention having the same thing.

• Posted

Hi Phyllis, 

I use regular Vaseline from the jar during the day, and at night just before bed.  But I have never heard of the athlete's foot creams the others mentioned...so thank you to those that mentioned that!  I too have had SS for quite a few years now, and aside from the eyes, mouth, skin, neuropathy in my feet, and some organ damage, my lip corners have not been too bad so far.  I work my tail off to keep my gums and teeth in good condition.  My dentist calls me his flossing queen!  LOL  And of course, I chew sugar free gum every waking hour!  I must own one of the gum factories by now!  LOL  I wish you luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.