Big toe felt like somebody tied it with string and was pulling on I !!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

Don't know whether I over did it today because it's only been 6 days since my surgery but my toe felt so heavy and tight as if someone was tying it with a string.

Has anybody else felt that?

Maybe because I've not had that feeling with my first surgery but I guess all surgeries are different.

The procedure was different this time.

I had scarf osteotomy last time on top of that I've had a first metatarsal and akin procedure done.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had that too it also felt like I had someone pulling a flip flop from the back of my heel and the pulling feeling was between my big toe and one next to it. It is diminishing now that I am in my 4th week, but if I am on it too much quickly returns. I continually remind myself to take it easy I know harder than it sounds, but better than feeling the tugging and pressure.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for that. It's good to know that can happen. Yeh I thought it might be when you've stayed on your feet for a while. It's just difficult to sit when you're always on your feet....but like you say better to than go through the pain and the healing process I guess.

• Posted

Hi there.

I had both feet operated on last week, scarf and akin, too, but I can't say that I've experienced anything like that. I think the key is to keep your foot elevated - maybe your toe is swelling, therefore making things feel tight. I know it's really hard to stay still (I have an 11 year old and a 13 year old) and if I try to do too much, I soon know about it!! The only discomfort I've really felt was in the first couple of days. Keep your feet up, lovely!! 6 weeks. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a long time ( that's what I tell myself anyway. I'm dying to get the hoover out, but I don't want to put myself backwards, so I have to stick it out). Hubby has been fab, but there's nothing like doing stuff yourself. When you're an active person, it's hard to be still. One week down, 5ish to go.....

Take care and get that foot up :-)

• Posted

Have you loosened the outer wrap a little? I didn't have a similar sensation but it all felt too tight and it helped. Good luck with the healing

• Posted

Yes ma'am you are right to keep loosened it helps tremendously, unfortunately, I learned the hard way 😢

• Posted

Thanks Loreen

Il do that. .but yesterday trying to elevate it a bit more definitely helped☺

• Posted

Yes, yes, yes, elevate.  The Doctor told me that was especially important the first week or so.  I was lucky that I could lay around and do that, because of my hubbys help.   I wish the Doctor would also have stressed that it was ok to loosen the outer wrap, if it bothered.  That helped me alot when I did that too.  I had an easy time, so this is easy for me at this point to say.............It has been easy so far!biggrin  I'm not going to push myself into regular shoes any too soon, as I'm a flip flop lover for years, because of my previously painful hammertoe, anyway.  So best of luck to you too and by the Holidays maybe everyone's feet will feel much better, by holiday time.  Cheers!

• Posted

Hi Loreen

Yes definitely hope so...can I just ask how long has it been since your op?

• Posted

I'm just at 4 weeks and 4 days. For some reason, I mistakenly thought I was 6 weeks along. Got the pin out today, with just a small bit of discomfort. Doctor was slow and gentle and it was out in a flash. I even am wearing my own supportive sandal today. No pain, but I'm also very careful when I'm walking not to flex my toes too much yet. Doctor says it takes 8 full weeks for bones to completely mend and to just be careful. My foot has swollen up today more, because I've been on it! It's a relief to be getting around better.

• Posted

Loren if you don't mind me asking your age I am 48 and 4 weeks and 3 days and I worked my desk job with mild walking today and feel terrible! I obviously overdid it. I have been in bed since I got home my foot is red, very swollen and hurts. I am icing right now and keeping it elevated. I know someone who was 28 and had this surgery and had little pain. Wondering if age is a factor. I typically come out of medical procedures with ease but this one has not been easy whatsoever.

The doctor in my case is leaving both pins (he said the size of pencil lead) he stated he only had one patient request to have them removed. I am not looking forward to my out of state work trip next week, ugh!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.