Big Toe Fusion - 4 months on

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can please share their experience of recovery from Big Toe Fusion.  I had mine fused 4 months ago due to Hallux Rigidus (not a bunion).  All seems to be going very well, very little swelling now and no pain in the joint, I can wear some previously owned flats providing they have a reasonable width, some are too narrow. I have bought some wide fit boots to get me through the winter.

However has anyone experience the following;

When walking in some boots (1inch heel) for only half an hour I seem to get pressure pain/bruising at the base of my 2 small toes, which makes it uncomfortable to walk in anything for the next few days.

I can feel the end of the fusion plate closest to the end of my toe, not really a problem but a little odd.

This is a bit urgh but also a bit funny, I seem to have grown several hairs on my big toe and this area seems super sensitive.  I did shave them but the regrowth was even worse.

So would be really grateful to hear of anyone elses experiences and if they have any on going advice.

Also if anyone has any shoe recommendations that have worked well after toe fusion, please do share.

thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula,

OMG it seems like we are having the same recovery smile i have hair as well and omg it hurts to pull it, yes pull it with teezers lol. I seem to have a problem walking on the side of my foot. and now it is hurting my back. do you have that problem? did you get an insert?

• Posted

Hi

when did you have your surgery and are you in the Uk?  I tried the tweezers, it made my eyes water ha ha.

Not had any back problems (yet) think I have been quite lucky really but have developed this discomfort in the base of my little toes.  I am just arranging a physio appointment to see if they can help.

Paula

• Posted

I have pain in that area as well, i believe from walking funny. i am in the US. my surgery was about 8 weeks ago

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.