Big toe fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello, 

i have posted in here before and am still collecting information as the date of my operation gets nearer. One of my concerns is that I have arthritis in my lower back and constant pain in my right leg. It is my right foot needing surgery and I am wondering whether my gait after the surgery will alter and how this might affect my back either positively or adversely. I am also concerned about the length of time this will take before I am able to exercise again as this is the only way I can control my back pain without too much medication. 

Any comments welcomed

regards jan

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Jan,

even though you are having the operation, this does not stop you to do gentle excersises for your back. You must just remember not to but pressure or bent your toe. But back excerises can and should be done. These you can do sitting down or lying down, there is no problem at all.

• Posted

Thank you Susann, and would you say that walking would be different after the operation and would this affect my back problem?
    • Posted

Hi Jan, your gait probably will be different due to limping. I've had both feet done, so my limp puts more pressure & swing on my hips. My lower back can sometime ache at the end of the day or after a lot of walking.

• Posted

Thank you that was what I was afraid of.m
    • Posted

I began doing restorative yoga. It's all done lying down, and holding a light stretch (or as intense as you want, really) for 3-5 minutes. Great for the post-surgery mind, as well as keeping the body & back in check.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.