Big toe twitching

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm 10 days post op now and all seems to be going well. The pain is now minimal, usually when I have tried to do to much. I have just started getting twitches in my big toe when asleep or relaxed. This is painful which I can manage but I'm worried it may cause damage to the work done, has anyone else experienced this and is it normal ? I bunion removed on right foot and next 2 toes pinned. Thanks Penny

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Penny

I'm two weeks post op and having the exact same issue. This is my second time round and I had the same thing with the other foot. Scary I know but it didn't do mine any harm last year!

• Posted

Hi thanks for your post. I'm desperate for everything to be healing ok so I can go back to work asap. The most difficult thing about this op is the 2 weeks foot up rest, I'm so bored despite having lots of little crafty bits and pieces on the go. Hope your recovering well x
    • Posted

Hi penny, Im nearly three weeks post op and have pain under my big toe where the bunion would of been, this foot also has one hammertoe pin still in, I had stitches removed on Tuesday of this week and sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they've told me no weight bearing for another 4 weeks! I was shocked at that, even though my Dr seen my feet and said how pleased he was. It's going to be a long journey! Lol x
    • Posted

Hi Rae your a little ahead of me so I will keep up with your posts to see what's next for me. I got for my 2 week check on Wednesday so hope to have the stitches out then. I can really feel them pulling on the top of my toes. I'm not very patient so the last 10 days feel like weeks. I keep reminding myself it will all be worth it and lovely to go for long walks again in the future without feeling like I'm walking bare foot on pebbles x
    • Posted

Hi penny, how did your check up appointment go? All well I hope x
    • Posted

Hi Rae

the check up went well thanks. My foot is swollen but I guess that's to be expected. I feel quite exposed now the bandage is off so I'm anxious the pins in my toes don't get knocked. Another 4 weeks and they can be removed. There is quite a gap between my big toe and the next toe but he said that will get smaller with time and once I'm walking on my whole foot again. I have some strips to pull my toes down at present as they are pointing up a little but again he said this will right itself with time. It's not the prettiest looking foot but I'm sure it will look more normal as it heals. I thought I would be back at work tomorrow but I have another 2 weeks off. How is your recovery going ?

• Posted

Hi penny yes I felt as exposed anxious and nervous as you, but as of today I feel mire confident. Up you will too. I have the gap, but it's improving all they mid, try not to worry, I'm at week three, I was given a note for 8 weeks after the op. My next app is 28th July for pin removal, then Dr will get me walking, hopefully. It will be worth it penny. How was the stitch removal? X 
  • Posted

hi penny x i had double bunion removal and hammer toe pinned on 11th May so i am nearly six weeks post op.... what you have just said i got in the early stages its just used to happen more when i was asleep but it would wake me up it was just felt like i had bent it back really hard, and then while relaxing it would just make a jolting movement on its own that gave me pain... i think this is part of he healing almost like the body saying you will move this toe again.... but it does hurt so i think this is very normal for us footy patients... i had my pin out on tuesday but my both feet are still very swollen and sore... its a long slow process and i must say never again, i am glad i have had two done together because no way on earth would i had gone back for the other one... i did not have an option really if i had not had had them done i would not had been mobile in later years... but blimey what a price to pay, the whole thing i must say has been so much more than what i thought... i do wish you a speedy recovery and we are all here to help x
    • Posted

Thanks Gilly it's great to be able to share experiences. I can't wait for next Wednesday and my check up. Just want the surgeons reassurance everything is where it should be. Looking at the posts it doesn't look quite so simple as get to week 6, shoes on and off you go. I will be pleased just to get back to work, desk based so hope to return quite soon with support x
  • Posted

I had the exact same thing in my big toe. It was probably the worst pain I felt throughout the process, it was enough to make me lose my breath. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and wish that my foot would just disappear until the pain went away.

If it reassures you, those twitches went away right around the 2 week mark, maybe even a little earlier.

• Posted

Hi Clairegen

its funny since I asked about this its not happened again ! I'm glad because as you say it's really painful. It's good just to be reassured the twitch isn't causing any damage. How far into the recovery are you ?

• Posted

I'm 5 weeks into recovery, as of today. It hasn't been that bad, just annoying. I would say after the 2 - 2 1/2 week mark, things really start feeling better, at least for me.

My surgeon actually told me at my 2 week appointment to start trying to wiggle my toes every day, so like others have said, the twitching is no big deal

• Posted

I have my 2 week check tomorrow, quite looking forward to seeing my foot undressed and getting confirmation all is well. It's funny I have been pretty much pain free except the twitching. Then the last 24 hours my ' bunion ' has ached like I have been walking in tight shoes. I'm guessing it's all part of the healing process x
    • Posted

Yeah I had that aching in the bunion area too, even though there's no bunion there anymore. So strange, almost like a phantom pain. That lasted for a while, unfortunately. It wasn't too intense. Most of what comes now is from the nerves healing, so it's all kinds of weird like twinges and shooting pains.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.