bile acid bowel problems after gall bladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Gall bladder removed just under 2 years ago and have had constant upset stomach everyday since. All ways feel unwell nauseous pains in stomach and have lost 5 stone in weight and tired all the time. Have been tested for chrons and u c and some other things but Dr's still not yet diagnosed. Just come across other people's posts about this condition and was wondering if anyone had same symptoms as me? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hiya

I have bile acid malabsorption & your symptoms are typical of this condition & often missed in colitis or ibs sufferers. I was diagnosed by having a non invasive simple sehcat scan at my local hosp. I am now on prescription med & my diarrea, stomach pain, & chronic rectal soreness have improved by 80% in a matter of weeks which is a great result. I also suffer from colitis & ibs-d, the colitis is under control, but I still get tired easily, have chronic bloating & waves of nausea, but I am feel so much better with the diarrea, stomach & rectal pain having improved so much. Even if you have no gallbladder (I still have mine), you can still get bam; the gallbladder is just a storage tank, bile acid still gets produced & delivered to your digestive system. I would urge you to ask for the sehcat scan, as if you are positive, the treatment brings about such improvement to symptoms. this condition is also often missed in ibs sufferers. good luck take care

• Posted

Hello...had my gall bladder removed many years ago and started having tummy/bowel problems not long after.  Was diagnosed with IBS-D and was just told to take Immodium...hmmm not easy when travelling country for work and sitting in meetings!  Managed to adapt diet to make things a bit more easy to handle but stress causes me problems too. A few months ago things got a lot worse and I was having to run to the loo 15 - 20 times a day and my stomach is huge, always bloated and uncomfortable and hurts to touch.  Eventually saw Consultant who said I have the classic symptoms of BAM.  I am now under a dietician at local hospital and am on permanant meds which have really helped me re pain and lavatory visits!  I hope you get this sorted as the meds do work and you can live more 'normally' and not have to worry.  Good luck
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 30 years ago and i have recurrent problems with diarrohea and gastritis. I have every sympathy with your condition.
  • Posted

I been having the same problem can't eat anything with out it hurttin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.