Bipolar, weed, laamotrigine, and psychosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am on lamotrigine, after coming off Abilify. Mania is no longer present, psychosis had gone, and depression was not prawns.

Recent I've started smoking weed. I don't know how this interacts with Laamotrigine? Has anyone mixed these two?

I've only had a severe manic episode once (less than a year ago), and I have only ever had psychosis at the height of the mania I've experienced.

I'm not sure if it's the bipolar, but I can feel myself unravelling. The voice I heard 'ben', I'm thinking he's around a lot again. I can't hear him like I used to, but Every now and then I've heard him in the past few weeks, becoming louder. I'm not manic, but I'm starting to feel like people are conspiring against me. I don't feel depressed.

I feel like it can't be a bipolar episode because I'm aware of what is going on.

Is this bipolar or do you think it's weed causing this?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Oh my god I meant 'depression is not present' lmao. I'm using my iPhone and autocorrect.
  • Posted

Hi Karen

Stop smoking weed! It increases the dopamine in the brain which can lead to psychosis. I know have been there, I am bi polar too.

• Posted

Thanks, I know I should.

But in all honesty, I think I'm developing a problem. I become dependant on things quite easily and I don't think I can stop yet (or maybe I don't fully want to yet - I have no idea). It started with a few drags, then smoking nightly, then daily, and now I pretty much wake and bake when I'm not in work.. But last time I smoked it got to the point were I was running home from work midday to have a smoke. Should I mention this to my dr? I'm not sure they can really help though.

• Posted

Hi Karen

How did you find the ability? My doc wants me to go on it.

• Posted

I thought it was quite good. I have had eating problems in the past and abilify was chosen specifically because it's weight neutral. I got up to a pretty high dose. Didn't make me feel drowsy like other antipsychotics I've tried either. I also have Tourette's and it worked wonders for stopping tics (which have now came back annoyingly). I am debating asking for it again solely for the Tourette's. Another thing I noticed... I never once had a bad skin day on abilify (this is probably/maybe just a coincidence though haha).
    • Posted

It's ok, no not really. I had previously been on quitiapene which made me feel so drugged I had to wear glasses. Compared to this, I felt really normal on abilify.. However, it didn't help when I felt depressed.
    • Posted

Yeah, I was on rispiridone before and was like a zombie. I would see you doctor, as when I hear voices the psychosis follows. I have been off the weed since January, when I was last in hospital and smoked it to get off the rispirdone, but my Cpn nurse said it would have contributed to me getting ill again, so I quit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.