Bisoprolo And Heart Rate

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a Stemi in lad and 2 stents fitted almost 4 months ago.My Bisoprolo has just been increased to 7.5mg. just checked bp and it reads 93/63 heartrate 35.My question is how low can your heart rate go to be considered safe.What would happen if it went too low, would you just faint?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm sure the info says they don't liike yr heart rate below 60 .below 40is termed heart block. I'd recheck yr heart rate and if still low discuss with yr Gp. Yes you'd feel faint /dizzy /sleepy .I'm an ex nurse.
    • Posted

Athletes tend to have very low heart rates. My GP who is also a Sports Doctor himself runs marathons and prides himself on his 40's heart rate.

In March when a hospital triage nurse checked my BP she asked if I had been very fit when I was young. I asked why and she commented on my 40's heart rate. I denied every having being fit and have since  had a seven day ECG monitor and been diagnosed with Tachy Bradcardia and am waiting for a pacemaker.

• Posted

Hi Julie

I often feel tired from beta blockers with my pulse just being 55-60. Is this then too low, when my normal resting is 85-100 in afternoon

• Posted

55-60 should be ok but discuss with yr GP next time you see them or earlier if concerned. As others say for some people are fine with resting pulse of 40 but that's generally athletes whose bodies have adapted due to their fitness.. 
    • Posted

One time my heart rate went up to 136. A doctor gave me bisoprolol and told me to take one 2.5mg then and another at night and then one a day. On the scond morning my heart rate was only 36.
  • Posted

My heart rate was normally in the 40's but it has gone up into the 130's. Once when it went up to 136 a doctor prescribed Bisoprolol and told me to take a 2.5mg right away and another at night and then one a day. On the second morning my heart rate was down to 36. I was then told to just take 1.25mg.

You certainly don't want it as low as it is. My record low was during a colonoscopy when the probe stimulated my vagus nerve with my BP dropping to 40/29 and heart rate to 30. It caused panic in the room as they pumped drugs into me and gave me water to drink to bring things back up. They kept on asking if I felt all right and strangely enough I did. I had been watching the procedure on a monitor and had noticed my heart and BP readings before they did and was begining to wonder if they were going to do something about it but with an oxygen mask on it was difficult to communicate with them.

• Posted

derek, can colonscopy cause palpitations afterwards. For me a clear worsening has happened after colonscopy?
    • Posted

In my case it stimulated my vagus nerve and my BP and heart rate dropped

On the monitor I could see my BP dropping to 40/29 and heart rate 30 while they were doing the colonoscopy.

Panic in the room as they gave me water to drink and pumped drugs into me. It gradually crept back up over the next five or six hours and they let me go home.

I did not notice anything wrong with my heart rate that day but when I went out and walked up no more than an incline I felt my heart rate increase and become irregular as I went into AF.

Each procedure is known to have that effect on some patients. 

It happened again when when my vagus nerve was stimulated during a DRE (digital rectal examination) when getting my prostate checked in January. That time the drop in BP and heart rate was less dramatic. 

• Posted

okay. do you think that the examination cause permanent palpitations, if so any cure.
    • Posted

inapropriate sinus tachy. It started the day after my colonscopy, before that I had much more manageable tachy, that I didnt take medicine for, even if i sometimes was bad. Then it got worse and now I need medication all the time.
    • Posted

My GP was not surprised that the colonoscopy caused the first incident but a urologist said of the later event after the DRE that he had only read of it happening in text books.

I have had irregular (Ectopic) beats for years then AF after my heart valve replacement. The latest diagnosis is tachy bradycardia after having a seven day ECG monitor. Now waiting for a pacemaker. 

• Posted

Hello - pauline60...something.... I've worked in Hospitals, but absolutely do not know what a ""Stemi  in lad""  means.

Even though, 2 stents means you were quite bad off to need that much repair... so I wish you good success from the stent repair.                  Yet the heartrate{HR} 35 is low enough to possibly cause a fainting spell.... As a young kid I used to faint all over the place... sometimes you get a warning in form of feeling so "ill" for a few seconds before the lights go out...[so if you feel that coming on-...lower yourself to the floor in anticipation of ending up there anyway, rather than falling and getting hurt from high-up...}  And you are tired when you wake up.... but then I just went on as usual... My favorite places to faint were Hot, stuffed full of folks Commuter trains in south-Germany in the late 40s eo early 50s... and Sunday  morning church services...  50 years later I met someone from my hometown in Florida, who remembered me as         "" oooh, you were the one who fainted in church all time "  ....   

So while fainting spells are just a signal of low HR + BP.... It sure is necessary for you to find out  "WHY" ...  I do hope you let your Doc know what's going on with you.... and one more thing : HR +BP are usually taken when "AT REST"  but can shoot up quite rapidly with exercise.... so I do hope your cardiologist will put you through a treadmill test to show all the BP variations at different stages of exertion.... which will determine your medication regimen among other factors, as well as how much exercise you should be exposed to, to regain equilibrium... of muscle strength ....   And your heart is a muscle...!!!   Bisoprolol is one of many Betablockers.  They have a long list of side-effects  and I suffer from at least 5 different ones... Tiredness being one of them to the point of where I've gotten used to feeling that way.....  If your BP is 35 in the a.m. on waking... it should slowly rise as your day proceeds...So it is important to list your resting  or activity stage - when you check your BP.. and check it at different times of the day... Resting stage is why the doc will usually have you sit for about 5 minutes in the exam room, before taking your BP or HR.  so you need to sit at home also for about 5  min before taking that BP and HR...

My HR is usually about 36-46 on waking then goes to >at this moment<  : to 52 @ 5:43 pm of 6/12/15 .... sitting here @ the pc typing this text.... then consider that i always had  a hr near 56 even when young.... so it's not too bad....      !!!   i really do wish you well   !!!  :="" to="" 52="" @="" 5:43="" pm="" of="" 6/12/15="" ....="" sitting="" here="" @="" the="" pc="" typing="" this="" text....="" then="" consider="" that="" i="" always="" had ="" a="" hr="" near="" 56="" even="" when="" young....="" so="" it's="" not="" too="" bad....=""  =""  =""  !!!  ="" i="" really="" do="" wish="" you="" well  ="">

• Edited

Most likely you are not in heart block but have sinus bradycardia, a normal heart rate just a bit slower than normal. If you have a low blood pressure but suffer no ill-effects from it then you are most likely OK.

Your heart rate should still react appropriately when you move around so if you take your pulse when you've been up the stairs, for example, you'll find it has risen. Having said that, check with you GP that they don't mind it being that low.

Don't go from sitting to standing and lying to standing quickly but do it in stages so that your blood pressure and pulse have a chance to respond otherwise you will feel dizzy!

• Posted

Hi Pauline, the consultant on our local cardiology ward here told me that low/very low bp (hypotension) is only good if the individual is fit and healthy. Where there is disease, or a health condition not so good, my bp can be 90/60 and heart rate can typically hover between low 40's to low 50's, makes me tired too. I have several health conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.