Bisoprolol 5mg not lasting full 24hrs

Posted , 5 users are following.

As per the title

I find that some days my Beta Blocker (5mg Bisoprolol) is not lasting the full 24hrs and allowing breakthrough A-FIB after around 18 - 20 hours.

Does anyone else find this?, if so what is the answer? should I up the dose with the Dr's blessing, or split the dose in two and take half morning and half night?.

or is there another answer?.

Many thanks for any help or advice as usual

Andy.

PS: I have posted this Question in both this Forum & the A-FIB Forum to hopefully get as many relevant tips and advice as possible, I hope this is ok.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

For extra info to my question, i take the 5mg dose at midday in a single dose.
  • Posted

I had the same experience, and splitted the dose in two and it works better for me.
    • Posted

Thank you Ingrid, luckily I Get prescribed the 2.5mg tablets even though he told me to take 5mg per day in a single dose, so I could do that without having to mess about splitting pills and take 2.5mg Morning & Night.

• Posted

You should see your GP and go with their advice. Sorry but if it was me a medical opinion and knowledge is more valuable to me than fellow sufferers of a condition or who take the same medication.
  • Posted

As others said, you should ask your doc.

My doc told me if I will need a higher dose, that I can take a full dose in the morning and half a dose in the evening.

In general, people should take Beta blockers in the morning since they will protect you the most throughout the day when you have more activity and higher chances to get an episode.

If you take a drug only at evening, then it will protect you mostly during a sleep and you will get a weaker protection during the day.

So, ask your doc about options, like half a dose in the morning, half a dose in the evening.

Or a full dose in the morning and half a dose in the evening.

Or just dose and a half or double dose in the morning.

Good luck

• Posted

I wanted to split my dose but GP said that the drug doesn't fully get into your system (for some reason) that way, you may need to increase the dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.