Bisoprolol and diarrhoea?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone, great forum and so helpful. I have leaky heart valves which will be operated on in a few months hopefully. The consultant put me on a strong water tablet for the cough due to fluid on the lungs because of the heart problem. Also gave me 2.5 Bisoprolol, Took both for 8 days and had worst attack of diverticulitis for 10 years! Stopped both, been ill for 3 weeks and lost a stone (not a good look!) 4 days ago started the Bisoprolol but at 1.25 and now have diarrhoea every morning!!!! Prefer it to the opposite but now attached to the loo and have my angiogram Thursday miles away at 9.30 a.m. Worried sick about how I'll manage on the journey and when I get there, I may have to leap off the table to head for the loo !!! Joking aside, does anyone else have the diarrhoea, no one has mentioned it. The tiredness is pretty bad but I was already weak so maybe that's partly the reason. Just hoping that this may improve when my body becomes used to it. Could of course be delayed effects from the diver, who knows??? Happy days and best wishes to all of you battling these awful side effects.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Linda, I also take Bisoprolol (5mgs) but havent had diarrhoea at all. I wonder if this is all due to diverticulitis but have you had a blood test to check that your thyroid isnt overactive ? This also causes diarrhoea and weight loss plus tiredness(personal experience !). I had an angiogram a few weeks ago and think that perhaps getting something from your GP to take before you go for your appointment will give you peace of mind and save you making a dash for the loo ! All the best, hope all goes well.

Bess

• Posted

I take 5 mg, loose bowel movement aren't something I'd connect to bisoprolol,, diverticular disease is a recipe for loose bowel movements smile
  • Posted

thanks so much Bess and House for your posts - the reason I am linking the two is that though I have had diverticulitis for 10 years I have never had diarrhoea with it, always constipation!!!! So this is a new one for me (however, to be honest given a choice I would always go for the former!!!! I am discontinuing the tablet as of this morning as I had awful stomach pains yesterday, one of the side effects is that and diarrhoea so maybe I am just unlucky lol !!! Bess I just had a full blood test for the angiogram so I will ask them what it shows when I go Thursday, my Mum and great Aunt had thyroid problems so that's definitely a route I will take. Thanks again. All the best,

Linda

• Posted

Well I hope by now your heart op is over and successful.

After more than a year on bisoprolol I've been taken off it - abruptly. I sufferred from severe diarrhoea for 3 months - and went to the GP after 2 months. I have Lupus (SLE) and a runny tum is common so did not rush. I also had swollen ankles (also not unknown on steroids). In essence, I assumed it was just another twist in the plot of lupus.

Went on holiday to France and managed it with immodium. When I came back I knew I was very bloated. Took a shower, was breathless and dizzy and experienced ache in arms and legs. I assumed that I would be v adrenalised and that my pulse would have shot up. My pulse was 42!

I havd been originally given Bisoprol for Atrial Fib. Called the GP and he told me to come off the drug immediately! No tailing off. Saw him 2 days after, no diarrhoea, swelling disappeared, some bloating left. BP not too bad 130/85 [it has increased] and a resting pulse at 60 now smile

Have mild ache under sternum - but also indigestion... so we'll keep an eye on that.

This side effect is rare ... apparently smile

• Posted

Hello Florabunda, wow you have been through a horrible time, far worse than me - must have been awful feeling breathless and dizzy, swollen ankles etc. and I'm so glad you felt better after coming off the tablets - yes I reckon it is rare to get this side effect but it does happen, we probably don't hear about it. No I havn't had my op yet! I had 5 hours at Harefield Hospital having my pre op tests on 14th August and apparently they have been discussing my case this week so hopefully it won't be long!!! Not that I'm very keen on having the op to be honest but I know I must be brave!!!!! Take care of yourself - Lupus is a very debilitating illness I hear. Thinking of you.
  • Posted

Hi linda, i am taking bisoprolol and have been taking them since june. I recently had the dose increased up to 2.5. I have had diarrhoea really bad for 2 weeks now so have come to the conclusion it must be the bisoprolol. I have heard from somebody with the same problem and they were given something from the doctor to stop the diarrhoea but carried on taking bisoprolol.
    • Posted

Hi Karen - yes does sound like it's the Bisoprolol causing the diarrhoea- what dose were you on before? I thought 2.5 was the lowest dose? Maybe try taking it at a different time? your body may adjust to the new dose eventually but you can't put up with the continuing diarrhoea or you will get so dehydrated, keep drinking plenty of water by the way. Tell your GP and ask if there's an alternative medication to Bisoprolol, don't leave it, you must be feeling so weak and ill. Sending best wishes to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.