Bisoprolol as a Precaution

Posted , 4 users are following.

Fainted after a really busy shift at work, I didn't get time to eat and had two drinks throughout my shift. When I got home I felt something wasn't right and then fainted to the floor whilst at the table having food.

I went to A&E and blood pressure was low and was booked into AEC dept the following day. They carried out some tests and wanted to run further tests on me; this included an ECHO and a 24 hour heart monitor. 

I had the ECHO and had the 24 hour heart monitor fitted afterwards. I got a phone call asking me to get myself up to the hospital a few days later. The hospital told me that the right side of the heart was enlarged and I needed to further tests including 7 day heart monitoring and an MRI. I was dis-charged from hospital with Bisoprolol 2.5mg and advised not to drive.

I had a few bad days where I feeling low because I'm so young (34) and facing my life being turned upside down. The waiting was unbareable, so I decided to pay for the MRI scan. Money I didn't really have. I have since got the news that the 7 day monitor was fine, there were a couple of extra heart beats. The MRI was fine too. However, when I was told over the phone, I was glad that everything was ok. they said that they would schedule a review meeting - but this would take a couple of months. I asked about resuming driving and coming off the meds, the secratary told me to remain on the meds and not to drive until the review. 

I wanted to know if anyone has been in my situation? And what can I do? I've put my life on hold for the past three months and can't bare the thought of the waiting for the unknown. 

Kind Regards

Chris

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear how your feeling and i do feel for you.I was only on 1.5 for 2wks and it turned my life upside down.Feeling Faint,constant Migraines and Bad Muscle Pain amongst other things.Rang my Gp Mon and she said to stop taking it straight away and just keep taking Apixaban and shes ringing me again Fri.Since i stopped Bislolprol i ,ve only had 1 fainting feeling so fingers x.d it was that causing the awful side effects.I would have a word with your GP because 2mth is too long to be reviewed.I too had the Heart Echo and Monitor and they were ok but i suffer with A/F (Palpatations) so thats why i was put on them.I,m retired now so dont have to worry about Work or Driving but you are only Young and there are other Meds they can try you on.Good Luck.
  • Posted

This is a really difficult decision for you.  On the one hand it must have been good to hear that there is nothing immediate to worry about.  On the other hand, were you to have a road accident, there could be a finger of blame.  I do agree that two months is a ridiculous time to wait and your foremost action must be to get cross enough to get this reduced.  The secretary is just covering her back with this advice and not yours.  I would press for your GP to telephone the consultant and get an opinion straight from the horse's mouth (like they do on that TV programme Behind Closed Doors - I wonder if that really does happen).  And of course, two more probably unnecessary months worth of Bisoprolol is no joke either.  The extra beats are ectopic and although they can feel alarming with a thump, they are not significant.

However, we are not medics on this thread and the decision to drive and not take the meds has to be your own.  Personally, I would be reassured by the results given and just get on with life as before if you can get no satisfactory answer otherwise.  I would also go back to where you paid for your results and tell them what has happened and they may be able to give you some form of authorisation to cover you until your review.

• Posted

A month ago i was put on Bisoprolol after being diagnosed with AF, there was NO mention of NOT driving 
    • Posted

It only applies if you are having any of the side effects we have had i.e Dizzy,fainting etc.Otherwise i assume its perfectly safe to Drive.
    • Posted

Yes of course - any ailment which can involve a likelihood of passing out at the wheel is folly to drive.  However, as you say, there is no history of Bisoprolol and the like either causing or preventing this, so I think it is not so much that the meds pose such a risk in this case, but that Chris feels she may be pushed into taking two months worth of entirely unnecessary medication (she has has an all clear privately).  The issue seems to be more about the wait times of the NHS than it does about her health.
  • Posted

Hello again,

I'd like to thank each one of you for the comments so far.

After getting the news that my tests have come back clear and potentially having to wait two months for an appointment; this week I've tried to contact the consultant. I've left two messages on the answerphone and no one has called me back. I managed to contact my GP yesterday, who is going to make contact with the consultant to find out what's going on. I also had a call from the occupational health nurse at work yesterday; I tried to get some advice and support and got an ear bashing instead. This really did upset me to the point I emailed her and told her I wasn't going to speak to her anymore.

I felt really low yesterday after that call. I am struggling to deal with my situation of the person who can help me isn't.

I had really negative thoughts and ended crying myself to sleep. Just thinking about upsets me now. I'm alone and it scares me, feeIing can't reach out to anyone. I'm 35 today and have little hope left.

I hope I can get through this ordeal.

Chris

(Male)

• Posted

Sorry Chris I visualise you as a male now!  Firstly and most importantly, you have had reassurance that you are okay and not in any danger, so your problems which are getting you down are not health related, but admin related - not something to get so low over, it's just people.  There are always folk ready to reach out to you, you just have to find them.  Please talk again to your GP and tell him/her exactly how you are feeling and what effect all this is having on you.  Failing this, you can always talk to the Samaritans who will put you in touch with the right advice.  I know how scary anything to do with the heart can be, but just think about the good test results and lift yourself up with those.  Nothing is going to happen to you in the meantime.  Take your GP's advice as regards taking the meds and driving.  Just curious, why the ear bashing, about what?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.